News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I just won a wonderful manual AE35 on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, October 30, 2014, 07:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I just won a wonderful manual AE35 on eBay. This is my first AE35 and I am stoked!! Bakelite has paint all over it, but looks chip and crack free. It is missing the chrome plunger set. Anyone have a beater to part out?...thank...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I forgot to post pics and the auction. My fingers are crossed. The handset is worth the price of the auction. Very Lucky...right place....right time. I have been looking for an AE35 for years, I had given up...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311154878269
Kidphone

paul-f

Congratulations!

I can't wait to see where you put it in your display.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Nice find Doug! And speaking of "Finds", if it was a low price as you imply I would think Find of the Month. I worried for a moment that it might be a 50 with a 35 cover and handset (which happens quite a bit as well as the opposite) but once I saw the back it does look 100% AE35.

Hopefully someone has a plunger set, they are the most frequently AWOL item on AE35/50 sets. They seem to be on eBay quite often if not always for $39 I believe. If no luck at all I might be able to help but I will as always, have to do some searching.

Terry

Doug Rose

Paul...something is going to have to leave. I have been trying to get as many manual sets as I can,  just love them. This is a prize!

Terry...let me know what your searching finds. no hurry at all....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I came home from work and the AE35 was sitting on my porch. It was packed perfectly and in wonderful condition. I will clean it up this weekend and post pictures......this is just a wonderful find! I can't believe how heavy this guy is!! No chips cracks or missing pieces in the bakelite..right place right time on the Bay....I was very fortunate. What a great phone...    ;D....... Doug

Terry...I need a plunger set
Kidphone

TelePlay

For posterity, a very nice find indeed.

Doug Rose

I got to work on it today and I am very happy with it. A few very minor marks, but is superb condition. No cracks, a tiny chip on the tops. I wired dial tone to it and it works!!!! Simply amazing. Terry is hooking me up with the hang up plunger.

The biggest difference from an AE50 is there are no vents on the side and came with the older style AE handset with cloth cords.

I just love bakelite, cleans up so well. I removed the paint from a sloppy painter, Brasso applied with fine steel wool. Removed with fine steel wool again and wiped it down with Avon SSS. This just shines! SSS is wonderful, in my opinion to moisturize bakelite.

The only thing I need is a retainer ring to clip on. Everything I have is too big. I have it jury rigged with a regular AE retainer ring and it slips right into the hole. Not perfect, but good for display right now. I am looking for a brass retainer ring if possible....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

insides and the retainer post I need the clip for...Doug
Kidphone

RotarDad

Wow, Doug - that is really unique and in awesome condition!  Great work on the resto.  I like this one almost as much as your stock exchange phone.....
Paul

AE_Collector

Hi Doug:

Trying to determine what part you need still. I think it is the larger washer thing that the screw goes through that holds the brass retainer thingy (sorry for the technical talk) that ultimately holds the number card ring. The washer is usually made of steel or is that colour and isn't just a flat washer but a machined washer. I have some but am not at home now, ill check later. Haven't mailed the plunger yet.

Terry

Doug Rose

thanks Terry

Paul....it was a labor of love....the Turret phone is one that I have never seen another like it. Good memory!!....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Thinking more about the number card retainer on these, i don't think they are supposed to use the normal washer, brass retainer and number card ring. I don't know if the actual number card retainer ring might be slightly different or not but something tells me that it is just supposed to be pushed firmly onto the existing round brass mounting. I think that the existing screw and washer are correct.

The number card retainer ring should look the same as the regular ring but wouldn't have the two little tabs on the sides. One tab folded in at the 10 o'clock position for the brass thingy to sit over and another little tab folded outwards at the 4 o'clock position that would insert into the actual finger wheel to keep the ring in place. It is this latter tab that is the problem for your application Doug. Even with all of the normal hardware for an AE number card retainer there is nothing for tat little tab to insert into thus you need a number card ring that doesn't have the tabs and it is the perfect diameter to be "forced" onto the round plate already on your dial blank. Note the rounded edges of this round plate on your phone to allow for this.

Presumably a "normal" card retainer ring might work possibly with some work on the edges to tighten the fit up a bit. If nothing else you could potentially hold it on with two or three dabs of clear silicone around the inside perimeter of the card retainer ring and then sit something on it while the silicone sets up.

Some of the AE card retainers are brass and some are aluminum. Maybe you can find a brass one on one of your other AE dials and strip it, file the outer tab off and modify it to fit tightly onto the existing brass mounting.

<edit> And finally, I moved this topic from the "Wanted" topic to "Collectors Corner"

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry...anything I can find in my parts is too big! A North and an SC miss as they swim on it. A WE retainer is too small. I can put another dial blank in, but I would really like to find the correct snap on retainer ring. This is just a phenomenal phone and looks all original. I don not want to screw with it. Let me know what you might find...thx...Doug
Kidphone

stub

Doug,
          WOW !!! That's very nice !!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield