News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally After Years of Collecting - AE Styleline with Illuminated Dial !

Started by GTE Rick, December 22, 2012, 09:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTE Rick

I have finally seen this....

Styleline Glowing by RickGTE, on Flickr

Thanks Richard Rose for the CLP to make this STYLELINE Dial Glow!
Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

George Knighton

I commiserate.  :-) 

I have three Princess models, and I've not seen one of them light up yet.  I've got 'round to researching transformers and how to set them up, so I'm hopeful that it won't be much longer.
Annoying new poster.

GTE Rick

gpo706

My Trimline gives off a faint red glow on the dial, is this powered by the line, or just residual radiation?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

GTE Rick

AE_Collector

Thanks for the picture Rick! I don't think that I have ever seen a Styleine lit up though as mentioned previously in another thread, I have one (or maybe two) that appear to be equipped to illuminate. There had to be a reason for 5 conductors in the early base to handset cords.

I was never certain if Styleline Illumination was the same as Starlites, IE: 120VAC. Yours is 120VAC using the Starlite type current limiting plug, correct?

Off to find my Styleline with the Electro-luminescent ring in it!

Terry

dsk

:) Nice  :)

I love my Starlite, and built the current limiting plug myself. That plug is really easy to make, and even with that voltage, the current is so limited, it will be harmless to a healthy person.

dsk

GTE Rick

Terry,

From the documentation I have read, granted most of it doesn't mention the lighted dial except in the wiring diagrams,  It's the same Current Limiting Plug as the Starlight.

Post some pictures !

Rick

Greg G.

My Princess seems to only glow on one side.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Phonesrfun

Two different methods of lighting the dial.  The Princess used a little incandescent light bulb, which was placed at about the 8 O'clock postion.  It used the clear plastics to attempt to bend the light all the way around the dial with less than stellar results.

The Starlite used some kind of a base under the number plate that the whole thing glowed when connected to a power source.  The Starlight was a softer glow, but even all the way around.  I have no idea what this glowing base was made of.  Mabe Terry knows.

-Bill G

stub

Bill ,
   Here you go. I can't remember where I got this from to put up a link.  Left click on pics to enlarge.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Stub:

Wow, thanks for posting that.  It is very interesting.  I think I may have read it a long time ago and completely forgot about it.  Thanks again.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

GTE or more likely Sylvania which GTE owned invented Electro-luminescence. Google it for lots of good info. There is a car dashboard that used it as well.

Terry