News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Rotary Phone Family

Started by bellsystemproperty, December 23, 2009, 12:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellsystemproperty

I promised Stub I'd take pictures of all my phones and equipment, so here they are.

This is Lucky the cat. If he could talk he would tell us he likes rotary phones.

This was my dad's 500 when he was a kid. His friend gave it to him, which is why the ringer was physically removed. He's not a phone expert, so I'm guessing his friend took out the ringer.

This is the WE 500 I rescued out of the trash from science class.

This is my SC 1543. It's from Palm Springs, so the phone was used in GTE territory.

This ITT 500 my dad found in Palm Springs. The color is rather purplish.

I like this stick, so I decided to leave it on the ITT 500.

This 554 is undergoing surgery. It is truly a Frankenphone, it is softplastic from 58 but it is modular.

This sticker is funny. "If they're alive call 911, if they're dead bring 'em to our lovely funeral home"

I like this dial card on my AE80. The pictures are a bit jumbled, the 80 is a bit later.

This is an SC 1443. It has the wrong handset, and when it came I discovered it has no receiver or transmitter!

This is the PMG phone I got from the San Jose phone show for $2. It works great

This ITT 554 is of much lower quality internally than a WE 554.

This AE40 was also $2 from the phone show. It needs A LOT of work.

My trusted AE80. This was the second phone I got, after the donut phone.

WE butt set.

other side

Orange butt sets, one needs a dial.

Close up, this set had to be made after 1969 because that's when the new Bell logo came out.

This modular 500 works quite well, it has one of the loudest rings of any 500 I've heard.

Nice black 554, the lighting makes it look worse than it actually is.

This 500 is rather ugly and beat up, but it does its job fine.

This was my first 500; I bought it from a guy on Craigslist.

My $5 Craigslist princess phone. It lights!

John LaRue was very nice and gave this to me at the phone show. Once I set up the KSU it will light up!

The speaker part of my AE880.

The main phone, look at how big the on/off button is!

I got this soft plastic 554 on Craigslist for only $5. It has matching 11-58 dates.

The AE90 lives directly underneath the 554.

The SC 1243 lives on top of a weighted lava lamp box. It's weighted so it won't fall over.

This redbar phone lives in my brother's room. All the rooms in the house have a phone that is connected to the PBX for easier communication. The PBX is currently down, but will be back up on January 9th.

One of my most used 500 sets.

This was my first rotary phone, the WE design line Sculptura. I just call it the doughnut phone.

This is my 2500. It's the only touch-tone phone I have that has not been banished away to a closet.  (other than the Comkey system) When I have to use touch-tone this is the phone I use.

Another solid white 500.

This is part of my Comkey 416 system I got at the San Jose phone show.

The Comkey control unit. I have several more comkey phones, but they all look the same so I don't want to take more pictures of them.

Jonathon Finder from the TCI listserv kindly gave me this two line 511. Once i clean it up it will be good as new.

I like to use this older 500 a lot because of the heavy G1 handset. It's used in my room along with the red 500 and doughnut phone.

The Panasonic 1232 opened up. The modular jacks are the outside lines and the 25pair amphenol jacks are for the internal extensions.

The amphenol jacks terminate into the modular jacks.

This phone is only used to program the 1232.

The old 616. It started burning inside, but it works. I don't trust it enough to use it anymore, which is why I got the 1232.

The inside of a 616. The bottom six jacks are the outside lines, while the above sixteen jacks are for internal extensions.

My sister Alana's phone. I think it's soft plastic since it is from 1958 and has a six hole receiver cup.

I guess that's all of them. I am probably forgetting some, and I have two other dougnut phones I didn't take pictures of. There's also a deep blue 554 that lives at a friend's house, but is still property of me. When I first got my donut phone, I thought that that was the only rotary phone I'd get. They just grow exponentially, don't they?  :D

HobieSport

Nice collection. Thanks for posting them all. I have a similar PBX, but with only eight phone capacity, but plenty for my needs. I'm also intrigued about your deep blue 554 that you have at your friend's house. What year is it?

Lucky the Cat has a rather intense look in his eyes. I'm glad I'm not a mouse hiding in one of your phones... :o
-Matt

bellsystemproperty

I'm not sure what year it is, but I'll look next time I'm there.. It's modular and it says ATT, so it is probably from the eighties. I remember the insides are from the sixties or fifties though. Lucky does look focused there, doesn't he?  :D

AET

Very nice collection.  Glad to see somebodoy else has thepassion for 500s!
- Tom

Phonesrfun

Great collection Kyle, and yes, they do seem to multiply once you get started, at least they do for me!

-Bill
-Bill G

rp2813

Hey Kyle, that's a Sebastopol phone number on the one you rescued from science class!
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Kyle, sister has a nice Light Gray soft plastic 500 there.  Better make her a trade deal.  You want that one in her collection.  Tell her how nice yellow would be instead! :)

~Dennis

McHeath

It's a nice collection you've got going, and yes they do seem to multiply like rabbits eh?

You got a sweet deal on that moss green soft plastic 554. 

LarryInMichigan

bsp,

I really like your PMG phone.  Also, I just noticed that your AE40 has a Stromberg Carlson dial on it.  I doubt that AE ever installed SC's dials on their phones, so it must have been changed later.

Larry

stub

BSP,
       You have a nice collection of phones going on there!!!!!!!!!!!
  Man you got some good deals at the phone show!!!!! I hope to get to one sometime, if it's not too far!!!
        Tell Lucky he's not doing his job at night because the phone population
is still increasing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Great phones and pics.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield