News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

no dial western electric telephone

Started by mark9564, January 08, 2015, 09:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark9564

Any info on this phone? I was asked if it had vents and it does, is that something special??

unbeldi

If it has vents in the cradle handhold it means that it is from the ~first year of issue 1937. It looks like it may. Who asked? Do you have it for sale?
It also has a dial card with three letter for the exchange name, from what I can tell despite the view angle.  This means it came from one of the few large cities that used 3-letter exchange names, if the card is original.

mark9564

Yes I listed it on ebay....here are some more pictures.

mark9564

unbeldi

It is indeed from first quarter of 1937.  See the date stamp on the base.   Are you sure you want to sell it? Most collector would probably want to keep it.
Very nice.

I believe ENGlewood was an exchange in Chicago, and I think Chicago didn't switch to the 2-letter system until the late 40s. So, the dial card is probably original.

mark9564

I bought it for the e1 handset that I put on my other phone. I'm not really a collector,  I just have the one that I like and keep my eye out for whatever strikes me. Here is the one I have.

unbeldi

Gosh.  An authentic 302 with E1 handset.  E1 handsets were used for very short time on some 302, perhaps because manufacturing hadn't kept up yet with needs.
How much did you pay for it?

So, the F1 handset on this phone now doesn't match the 302, most likely.  Knowledgeable collectors can tell, because there are dates in the handset too.
The 302 in original state could fetch a few hundred dollars.

mark9564

I paid $20 , I just wanted the handset. Is it still worth anything with the f1 handset?

unbeldi

That's a fantastic deal.   Yes, it will still be worth more, because people want the phones with the vents, and you can't tell from the pictures how old the handset is, and you certainly didn't promise anything misleading in your ad, which I just discovered.

WEBellSystemChristian

Wow, what a great example of a first-year 302! If it's not too late,I would highly recommend putting the E1 back on the phone, because that significantly increases the value!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

mark9564

How much are we talking about. I wanted a E1 for my phone so if I put it back on I would have to buy another E1.

mark9564

Would it be worth more if it had a dial in it? The place I bought it had a bunch of old parts and dials for sale cheap.

poplar1

There are dates on the receiver, handle (behind the receiver assembly), transmitter, and possibly inside the snuff catcher (mouthpiece).

While seamless E1s have been found dated as late as 11 02 37, most likely a I 37 302 would have originally had either an E1 with groove in the handle, or an F1 with no groove. In fact, earliest  grooved F1 reported here (so far)is 6-12-37, and that was on a Bell Labs Trial phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Perhaps this 302 and the other parts for sale were stashed away long ago?

A phone this old may be worth more "as found" without a dial. Adding a dial will also require a 59A dial adapter (gasket) in order to be as originally furnished. Are the cords original? (Cord dates are on the metal restraints, inside the phone base.)

The vents disappeared by November, 1937.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: mark9564 on January 08, 2015, 11:09:23 PM
Would it be worth more if it had a dial in it? The place I bought it had a bunch of old parts and dials for sale cheap.
No, don't put a dial in it. It would probably be more valuable as it sits than modified with mismatched parts. This phone is probably worth around $150-200.

Again, wonderful example!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford