News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coffin Magneto?

Started by phonium, September 04, 2020, 11:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phonium

Sold for $80. It looks to me like the magneto inside a coffin telephone, so if it is that seems like a very good price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brass-Gear-Hand-Crank-Single-Bar-Magneto-Walnut-Base-12-034-x5-034-w-x7-034-t-/164366805546
George Amores
ATCA#4857

HowardPgh

My guess is that it is is from a quack medical shocker device. Other guess would for an educational demonstration for science class.
I love that open brassworks and gear stuff.
Howard

FABphones

Quote from: phonium on September 04, 2020, 11:25:12 AM
Sold for $80. It looks to me like the magneto inside a coffin telephone, so if it is that seems like a very good price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Brass-Gear-Hand-Crank-Single-Bar-Magneto-Walnut-Base-12-034-x5-034-w-x7-034-t-/164366805546

When the link goes dead no one will have a clue what was being discussed so here is a screenshot from the listing folks....

Looks like a demo piece to me.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

Yeah, that was an instructural piece.
notice the flat horseshoe magnet?

ReneRondeau

I agree with Howardpgh. It is totally identical to the magneto in my Davis & Ritter Electric Machine for Nervous Disorders, right down to the hole in a corner of the brass frame. Here's mine with another photo from the eBay auction. Check out the details.

RB

Ok, so that's too cool!
A medical device, or the guts of one, mounted to a display board, for exhibition...
I like :D
Where are the connection points?
I can't see them in either pic.

Jim Stettler

Quack medical devices are cool. people collect them. there were many electric medical cures before regulation, the medical claims of renewed health  were the most likely cause of regulation.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

ReneRondeau

Quote from: RB on September 04, 2020, 07:06:27 PMWhere are the connection points?
I can't see them in either pic.

You can see them in my machine at the right, and the lower left. On the right there is a screw leading from the frame to a knurled nut on the side of the box. On the left, there is a flat piece of brass with a 90 degree angle that goes between the screw and other knurled nut, and the tip of a small shaft connected to the spinning electromagnets to complete the circuit.

It puts out an impressive shock when you hold brass tubes wired to the connection points. It starts out slow, and the intensity increases with the speed of cranking. Very quickly the effect becomes extremely uncomfortable. I've never known anyone to hold on for more than 5-6 seconds.