News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Started by AET, January 06, 2010, 03:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I read that same article that Tom referenced and was not surprised that the writer sees landlines as useless, that seems to be the way the cultural winds are blowing.  

Even if it does not make sense for a lot of people.

I've not gone to Voip or cell only service due to the exact limitations that Donna discussed, as well as the lack of reliable service that others mentioned here.  If my landline gives me trouble, rare, a quick call and it's fixed.  If the cell drops service, can't find service in the kitchen but can in the living room, etc, that's the breaks.  

I think that the current Voip, Fiber Optics, and cellular service are great tools, and have a place, but they do not give the quality AND reliability of service that copper based landlines give.  If fiber loses power then you are dead in the water, just as with all the others.  And that's an interesting deal really, that these newer services give you many more options and capabilities but tie you to the power grid pretty tightly.  Ironic when so many people want to get untied to the grid these days and generate their power.  Our electrical service here in central California has more than a few odd blackouts, and it costs a pretty penny as well.  

McHeath

AET

Good for him!  I loved his article and can so relate.  I'm a bit more outdated myself.
- Tom

Tonyrotary

I read that article too. But I will think that landlines will hold out for awhile longer. As been said, you don't get cutouts with a landline as you would a cell phone.

Greg G.

Quote from: benhutcherson on January 08, 2010, 03:07:40 PM
If landlines ever go away, there's always

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/xlink-cellular-bluetooth-gateway.html

Really?  Hmmm, I think you just showed me a way to save $45 a month.  But then, how would I test my phones?  It would be the same number as my cell, right?  Currently I use my cell to call my landline and vice-versa.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bellsystemproperty

I just got an Xlink off eBay for $60. It does support rotary phones, and you can even adjust the pps rate it accepts. It is very customizable. Still, the sound quality of a cell phone will never match a landline, and landlines are also more reliable. Later today or tomorrow I'll post some pictures and show how it works.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on January 12, 2010, 05:46:07 AM
[  But then, how would I test my phones?  

The Panasonic 308 is good for that.  Plug the Panasonic into the box, and your phones into the 308.  Probably won't be quite the same as a Qwest line, but what the heck, $45 is $45 more in phone purchases a month.

-Bill

-Bill G

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on January 12, 2010, 05:46:07 AM
Quote from: benhutcherson on January 08, 2010, 03:07:40 PM
If landlines ever go away, there's always

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/xlink-cellular-bluetooth-gateway.html

Really?  Hmmm, I think you just showed me a way to save $45 a month.  But then, how would I test my phones?  It would be the same number as my cell, right?  Currently I use my cell to call my landline and vice-versa.

I use a BK Precision 1045 telephone tester. New they are $500-600. You can get them used on ebay for less than $100. They are set up for a modular cord . I have various adapters that I use,  to test other phones.
They can ring, show dialed digits, intercom betwen 2 sets and test mod cords.

I can test a modular phone in less than 1 minute.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on January 12, 2010, 10:22:50 AM
I just got an Xlink off eBay for $60. It does support rotary phones, and you can even adjust the pps rate it accepts. It is very customizable. Still, the sound quality of a cell phone will never match a landline, and landlines are also more reliable. Later today or tomorrow I'll post some pictures and show how it works.

Apparently there are two versions, which did you get?  I read some of the customer reviews on Amazon.com, they're mixed.  The biggest complaint seems to be sound quality.  I think I would still give it a shot though.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bellsystemproperty

I have the Xlink BT, and that's all you actually need. The BTTN, the more expensive one, has a port to also connect the landline, but in your scenario that would be unnecessary. The sound is okay, the only reason I bought mine is so that I can make a rotary cell phone. The XLink is going to go in a box with the cell phone and batteries, and then the 500 plugs in outside. The sound is not as good as a landline, and not as reliable. What I would suggest if you don't want to pay a lot for phone is to just go to basic service and then use Google Voice for free long distance. It is invite only, but I have some invites. Just PM me if you want one. To use Google Voice you call your GV number from the landline, and then from there you call who you want to call for free. It also works for incoming calls.

bwanna

donna

Greg G.

Quote from: bellsystemproperty on January 13, 2010, 07:43:42 PM
The sound is okay, the only reason I bought mine is so that I can make a rotary cell phone. The XLink is going to go in a box with the cell phone and batteries, and then the 500 plugs in outside.

Have you seen these?  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8929
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Yeah I ran across those sometime back, they are super cool and if I had the money...