and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Advice on a 5302

Started by rp2813, February 16, 2010, 12:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on February 19, 2010, 10:49:05 PM
Quote from: rp2813 on February 19, 2010, 10:31:04 PM
Wow, those G/F handsets are the coolest things!  The yang to the E/F's yin.  Clearly (no pun intended) it was worth the trouble to produce adapters for older technology F1 handset parts to still be deployed or they wouldn't have done it.  They must have had a real sh**load of F1 and HA1 elements on their hand(set)s.  Those components made it into three very different types of handsets made over a period of several decades.  Amazing.  We should be so lucky to have anything electronic or mechanical made today be so seriously overbuilt to last for the ages.

Who has the newest F1 element. I have one with a really late date in my shed.

I have a shed mission this weekend. I need  to dig out some sculptura's and a 500 set. I will try to find the element and check it's date.

Jim

I found my youngest F1 element.........83-5, I will post a photo later.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rp2813

I'll have to buy a new camera (I've been meaning to for a while) if I want to upload a picture.  I've given up on locating the little one that was lost in the move, and my webcam only captures video, not still shots.

I will say that I can't see any difference between the ringer mechanism on the 5302 (2/47) and the one on the 302 (6/46) that I'm comparing it to.  Both seem to be stressing out the tensioner when set in the groove that provides the most resistance.

I'll keep playing with it, but will have to wait until I'm alone in the house so I'm not driving anybody else crazy with the phone ringing over and over.
Ralph

rp2813

I've been playing around a little more with the ringer, and I think it probably needs to be changed out unless there are more adjustments that can be made besides the tension spring.  I think the knocking sound is coming from the rear of the coil and isn't related to the striker itself.  While ringing, I slipped a screwdriver in behind the coil and things quieted down--too much, but the knocking went away. 

Perhaps this particular coil has rung itself into sloppiness over the years.  If there's no way to adjust for this situation, then I'll pick up a junker 302 at some point and change out the ringer.  I don't want to take the coil out of my matching dates 6/46, at least not permanently.
Ralph

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rp2813 on February 27, 2010, 01:36:50 PM
I've been playing around a little more with the ringer, and I think it probably needs to be changed out unless there are more adjustments that can be made besides the tension spring.  I think the knocking sound is coming from the rear of the coil and isn't related to the striker itself.  While ringing, I slipped a screwdriver in behind the coil and things quieted down--too much, but the knocking went away. 

Perhaps this particular coil has rung itself into sloppiness over the years.  If there's no way to adjust for this situation, then I'll pick up a junker 302 at some point and change out the ringer.  I don't want to take the coil out of my matching dates 6/46, at least not permanently.

Ralph,
Are the rubber gaskets deteriorated? Just a guess but if the gaskets are damaged the ringer might "bounce" while ringing.
Jim
You live, You learn,

rp2813

Jim, you may be onto something.  Yes, there are new O-rings under there but the ringer seems to be solidly in place.  Is there a particular type of gasket that should be used?  It really sounds clunky but decidedly old-school which is OK for now, but the knocking will eventually have to go. 

If you can imagine a cartoon phone bouncing around as it rings, that's exactly what it sounds like this one should be doing.  If it would do that though, I wouldn't want to change a thing!

Ralph

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rp2813 on February 27, 2010, 06:26:29 PM
Jim, you may be onto something.  Yes, there are new O-rings under there but the ringer seems to be solidly in place.  Is there a particular type of gasket that should be used?  It really sounds clunky but decidedly old-school which is OK for now, but the knocking will eventually have to go. 

If you can imagine a cartoon phone bouncing around as it rings, that's exactly what it sounds like this one should be doing.  If it would do that though, I wouldn't want to change a thing!

The method I have heard of is:
Cut out the old gaskets and replace them w/ the proper size o-rings, You may want to take the base w/ you. I would try for "fatter" O rings.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Phonesrfun

You might also check the single set screw that holds the B1A ringer in its holder to see that it is tight.  Aslo check the holder to see if it is bent and that the ringer might be flopping around in its holder even with the set screw properly tightened.

You could check this by holding the frame of the ringer steady with your hand while it is ringing.  If by holding it still, the knocking stops it is something mechanical like the o-rings or the mechanical way it is set in its holder.  The o-rings can be checked just by grasping the ringer frame with your fingers and wiggling it to see if there is too much play between the ringer holder and the phone base plate.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

rp2813

Thanks Bill, I will run those checks and see what happens.
Ralph

rp2813

I held the ringer assembly in place while ringing and when I put pressure on it the knocking got worse, so if anything I may need to loosen things up some.  I'll give that a try when I have time to devote to messing with the phone further and report back.  I didn't even bother to check the B1A set screw, but will include that when I tackle the ringer.
Ralph

rp2813

I pulled the ringer assembly.  Everything looks good underneath, but I did notice that there is play between the holder and the set screw.  I can push down on the holder and get movement.  I'm not too concerned about that, since when I pushed down while ringing, the knocking got worse.

I'm wondering if it's a quirk with the 5302's that when adjusting the loudness lever, the entire ringer assembly moves with it.  It appeared to me that it was related to the 41B gong's positioning.  If I rotate the B gong away from the striker, then when the adjusting lever is moved, the ringer assembly stays put.

I'm going to try one more thing and see what happens, and will report in on results.
Ralph

rp2813

I've had some success.  I felt confident that I had isolated the source of the knocking to the section of the striker mechanism where it makes alternate contact with the coils and appeared to have too much travel.  I cut two small sections from a business card and folded them a couple of times, then slipped them in between the edge of the ringer frame and each end of the T-bone arrangement on the rear of the striker assembly.  I made sure there was still enough clearance for the striker mechanism to rock back and forth and contact the coils.  Just with manual stimulation, the knocking was reduced compared to before I inserted the card stock.

I tested it out on a ring cycle and the knocking has been significantly reduced to the point of being tolerable.  This won't be a permanent solution of course, but until I can replace the coil assembly it will do.  I'm happy with it for the time being, and the business card sections should stay put.  The gongs have a more clear resonance now too.

So for now, this phone is good to go, the ringer is adjusted around mid-range for a pleasant volume that can be heard in other rooms and outside when doors and windows are open, but hopefully won't knock anyone out of the adjacent chair.

I'm open to comments regarding what I've done.  I know it's probably not an approved resolution, but for now it's fixed the problem.
Ralph