News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

554 wont ring

Started by Kenny C, February 28, 2010, 04:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I told you all about my 554 i bought and it won't ring. I pluged it up I didnt get dial-tone, but stub1953 sent me a digram and now I have dial tone. So I plugged it in and it dials out and works fine, but I cant get it to ring. I looked at the diagram and everything is wired right. I think remember reading on here that something has to be touching the gongs or it will not ring. So please help me.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Make sure the ringer is wired like this:

Red from ringer to L2 on the network
Black from the ringer to L1 on the network
Slate (Light gray) from the ringer to K on the network
Slate with red stripe from the ringer to A on the network.

That should make it ring

The thing about something touching the gongs probably had to do with adjusting the bias spring, which ususally doesn't need addjusting.  The place to start is to check the connections I have just outlined above.

Let us know.....

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Kenny C

I just checked checked it all it stil wont ring :(
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, just a thought.  Beneath the clapper on the ringer is the bias tension spring.  It's a thin wire that runs through a little copper maze-like holder.  If the spring is not in the right hand position (as you look at the gongs), move it to the right side.  Often this will make a difference.

~Dennis

Phonesrfun

Just to make sure you don't have a frequency ringer, can you post a picture?

-Bill
-Bill G

stub

Hey Kenny,
                  Here's the right straight line ringer for your phone ( WE 01) and here's a frequency ringer, it's a SC - 554. Notice the difference in  the bell clappers .  I might have one here if yours is a frequency ringer. I'll have to look after we identify your ringer.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

I GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, tell us what you did to make it ring.

LarryInMichigan

... Maybe it will ring a bell  :)

stub

Kenny,
             Great job!!!!!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Kenny C

I HAD THE BLACK AND SLATE WIRES MIXED UP!!!! BOY DID I FEEL DUMB
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dennis Markham

Kenny, don't feel dumb.  That's how you learn.  And now you've learned and you won't make that mistake again.....good theory.  :)

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

jeremylivin

At least newbs like myself can learn from you.
Jeremy Livingston

Phonesrfun

Kenny and Jeremy:

I think the title "Newbie" ought to be tossed out.  Yes, I know it only designates the number of posts on this forum, but I don't consider "newbie" to be derrogatory in the sense of collecting.  Everyone has a different prospective.  You guys may be new, but soon you will be chiming in with everyone else on the "How-to's"

No one person has all the answers and I, for one learn something new here every day.  So, keep coming back, and the more questions you ask or the more that you read that someone else has asked and the more discussion that goes on, the more all of us will continue to learn.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G