News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Payphone

Started by Doug Rose, August 13, 2022, 01:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: paul-f on August 14, 2022, 03:58:30 PMHere's a link to my "go-to" BSP for 425, 4010, and 4228 networks:

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=501+135+100
thanks Paul...I have no luck with TCI library.  Last night I put WE 236G in the search and got nothing. I followed your link and searched 4010 and got nothing useful. It must be me. All I am looking for is a pic of a wired 4010....I do appreciate your help....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Fwbeachbum on August 14, 2022, 01:48:30 PMSweet, I started my Telecom career installing and repairing pay stations. I would have ripped my back pocket and dropped my wallet trying to get the money out.
Welcome to the Forum....it is a great place. I'd love to hear some Tech stories!...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

FIg. 9 of the BSP Paul cited shows a line drawing of the 4010B network. Screenshot 2022-08-14 19.58.05.png

I found the BSP by using the google search for "4010 Network",  rather than the basic search at the TCI Library site.

There are no wires shown, but I don't know how much that would help since your phone does not conform to the 236G wiring diagram, because the network is in the wrong place. That means you would have to reengineer it in order to repurpose the 8-conductor cord as a dial cord..

If I were forced to leave the network in the lower housing, I would probably start with dial tone on RR and C, receiver on GN, transmitter on B, and one transmitter wire and one receiver on R. (All terminals on the 4010B). This should give you dial tone and transmitter would work, but you wouoldn't be able to dial yet or hang up.

If dial tone and transmitter are OK: Then I would add the hookswitch  (Y and SL terminals) to open one side of the line. Then put the dial pulsing contacts  (Y and BK) in series with one side of the line Then add the BB-W dial contacts in series with the GN and BBX hookswitch then to GN on network, and the receiver wire that was temporarily on GN to W on dial.

If the bracket is missing to hold the network on the slanted shelf in the upper housing, you could probably use some 'supervisor's tape" (sticky on both sides). I stopped trying to follow someone else's kludged wiring a while back (except to wonder how it ever worked that way). I asked one reseller why he would remove the working parts from a 236G only to install an ITT network. He said, "That way, they will all be wired the same when [sic] they come back."

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Thanks Stan, David and Paul...I do appreciate all the help....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

If anyone owns a WE 236G with a 4010 Network could you please post a pic with Terminal and the 4010 wired to work. I am having a tough time with mine....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Stan S

Doug- you don't have a 236G. You have the decorator phone in the BSP I sent you. A diagram of a complete 236 would be useless. Half the parts of a 236 were stripped out of your phone by whatever phone company (or The Telephone Pioneers) when they made it a decorator phone. They made sure it could never be used as a REAL profit making payphone again.

Doug Rose

thanks Stan...I am out of my league trying to read the schematic.

I am just trying to make it work and find out what wires where on the 4010 and the terminal.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Stan ...the Terminal in the schematic is calling for BL and BK, but mine is marked R BBX Y SL G.

Also where do I terminate the dial wires from the connector?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Why do so many want to alter payphones?  What is wrong with leaving them as they were made?

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on August 15, 2022, 03:43:16 PMWhy do so many want to alter payphones?  What is wrong with leaving them as they were made?

Mike
mike...just trying to get it to work, I did not alter it....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

I know it wasn't you, I see so much of this nowadays.  Same with cars.  They nowadays insist on Resto-modding them, so now it is hard to find a stock example.  They love to drop a small-block Chevy engine in everything that is not a Chevy, they want to put Rack and Pinion steering in everything, and I hate Rack and Pinion, they want to put disk brakes on cars that never had them, etc.

Mike

HarrySmith

I did one of those a few months back. I cannot fiond any picture od the network but I do have the drawing I used for it. I think I got it from someone here. It is attached.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

Doug
BL and BK aren't terminal locations, they are wire colors. BL=Blue BK=Black. Follow those lines to the left side of the diagram and you will come upon the terminal markings. They are all there exactly like your pileup. Well maybe two are missing from your pileup but they were just tie points when the pileup was the type that had transfer contacts and not a plug and wiring harness like yours. They aren't needed anyway. Those diagrams take a little getting use to.

Doug Rose

Kidphone