and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Installing an AECo mini-network into a WECo D1 Mount

Started by deedubya3800, June 10, 2011, 05:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

Quote from: antiqueguy on February 05, 2012, 05:51:21 PM
Quote from: deedubya3800 on June 27, 2011, 04:59:27 PM
Yay! My cords arrove today! I got to work right away on it. I had a little trouble getting all the wires to stay in place as I put the baseplate back on (it took four tries to get it right without shorting anything), but I got it, and now my D1 is a perfect working phone without the need for a subset! :D

This is how I did it:

I am not sure were the blue wire goes.  Is it grounded to the base or is it attached to the board unused? Next question. I am having trouble seeing were the wire coming from terminal 4 is going and also were the wire from terminal 22 is going.

I just saw your picture at http://hullofsorrow.deviantart.com/art/mini-network-283261948. It's actually identical to the one I used. The wire from 22 (white on my diagram) goes to R on the dial. The wire from 4 (yellow on my diagram) goes to GN on the hookswitch pile. I would just tape off the end of the blue wire so it doesn't contact anything.

antiqueguy

Quote from: deedubya3800 on February 05, 2012, 06:21:46 PM
Yay! My cords arrove today! I got to work right away on it. I had a little trouble getting all the wires to stay in place as I put the baseplate back on (it took four tries to get it right without shorting anything), but I got it, and now my D1 is a perfect working phone without the need for a subset! :D

This is how I did it:

I am not sure were the blue wire goes.  Is it grounded to the base or is it attached to the board unused? Next question. I am having trouble seeing were the wire coming from terminal 4 is going and also were the wire from terminal 22 is going.

I just saw your picture at http://hullofsorrow.deviantart.com/art/mini-network-283261948. It's actually identical to the one I used. The wire from 22 (white on my diagram) goes to R on the dial. The wire from 4 (yellow on my diagram) goes to GN on the hookswitch pile. I would just tape off the end of the blue wire so it doesn't contact anything.

Some of my other wires are different. I'm still a little bit confused.  Thanks again for your time.

deedubya3800

Quote from: antiqueguy on February 05, 2012, 06:33:21 PM

This is how I did it:

Some of my other wires are different. I'm still a little bit confused.  Thanks again for your time.

I'll be glad to help you with it. As long as it can be modified in a completely reversible way, I'm all for it.

antiqueguy

Quote from: deedubya3800 on February 05, 2012, 06:39:00 PM

This is how I did it:

Some of my other wires are different. I'm still a little bit confused.  Thanks again for your time.

I'll be glad to help you with it. As long as it can be modified in a completely reversible way, I'm all for it.

Well some of my wires are connected to different spots.  I'm just all confused.  Is there a diagram somewhere for my set? It seems my phone has wires going to different places then yours regardless of the network.  Do I need to move any existing wires.

deedubya3800

Quote from: antiqueguy on February 05, 2012, 06:46:07 PM

This is how I did it:

Some of my other wires are different. I'm still a little bit confused.  Thanks again for your time.

Well some of my wires are connected to different spots.  I'm just all confused.  Is there a diagram somewhere for my set? It seems my phone has wires going to different places then yours regardless of the network.  Do I need to move any existing wires.

I'm looking at your board and my board, and they do look identical, but they both vary trivially from the diagram. They both have a blue wire, a green wire, and a black wire soldered to the board, plus push-in contacts for the yellow wire (4), pink wire (23), and white wire (22). Since there is no red wire on this board, you can just ignore it on the diagram.

Some of the existing wires are slightly modified from the standard 202 wiring diagram, but not many. For example, the black wire from the handset has to connect to the green wire from the transmission board. I used a piece of plastic to mount a nut and screw together to make that connection without it touching any other wires or the shell of the telephone. Also, there is no subset cord; it is replaced by a line cord from which you will only need the red and green wires. If the line cord has yellow and/or black, they need to be taped off so they don't contact anything.

antiqueguy

Quote from: deedubya3800 on February 05, 2012, 06:58:53 PM
Quote from: antiqueguy on February 05, 2012, 06:46:07 PM

This is how I did it:

Well some of my wires are connected to different spots.  I'm just all confused.  Is there a diagram somewhere for my set? It seems my phone has wires going to different places then yours regardless of the network.  Do I need to move any existing wires.

I'm looking at your board and my board, and they do look identical, but they both vary trivially from the diagram. They both have a blue wire, a green wire, and a black wire soldered to the board, plus push-in contacts for the yellow wire (4), pink wire (23), and white wire (22). Since there is no red wire on this board, you can just ignore it on the diagram.

Some of the existing wires are slightly modified from the standard 202 wiring diagram, but not many. For example, the black wire from the handset has to connect to the green wire from the transmission board. I used a piece of plastic to mount a nut and screw together to make that connection without it touching any other wires or the shell of the telephone. Also, there is no subset cord; it is replaced by a line cord from which you will only need the red and green wires. If the line cord has yellow and/or black, they need to be taped off so they don't contact anything.

I finally got a chance to wire this phone up.  When I finished it would receive calls but not dial out.  I am using at&t uverse but I have a dailgizmo and that has worked before.  I am not sure what I did wrong. Here is the finished wiring picture link. http://hullofsorrow.deviantart.com/art/202-rewire-286075753 Please note blue wire on board has been removed and yellow line wire has been taped off.  Orange wire from board is soldered instead of connected. Picture is available on large view.

dsk

If you put in a piece of paper between the pulse contacts of the dial, do you loose the dial tone?
dsk

antiqueguy

Quote from: d_s_k on February 20, 2012, 05:05:53 AM
If you put in a piece of paper between the pulse contacts of the dial, do you loose the dial tone?
dsk

First I would like to apologize for taking so long to reply. And the thank all those that have helped me on this project. To answer your question I do loose the dial tone when slipping a piece of paper between the bottom most pulse contact.   At this point I am also looking into getting a subset box that doesn't have a ringer. Anyone here build/sell these?

dsk

I'm not sure why its not working, have you ended up with something like this?
This should work.

dsk

dsk

A subset with no ringer could be made of a $3 transformer http://tinyurl.com/88vgkfo
and a capacitor.
Something like this.

dsk

oyang

This is how I did it:

I can confirm that this wiring configuration works!

Otto
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they aren't."

poplar1

The only AE mini-network I can find has 3 quick-connect terminals labeled 4, 22 and 23. Does anyone have a diagram showing the equivalent colors on the networks shown here?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on November 22, 2016, 11:56:36 AM
The only AE mini-network I can find has 3 quick-connect terminals labeled 4, 22 and 23. Does anyone have a diagram showing the equivalent colors on the networks shown here?

Such as these ?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16639.msg172070#msg172070

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12713.0

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on November 22, 2016, 12:05:28 PM
Such as these ?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16639.msg172070#msg172070

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12713.0

Not exactly. Those are N-205s. This is an HB-1021 network with 3 quick-connect terminals. However, the one N-205 pictured with fixed wires has 4 next to the yellow wire, 22 next to the white, and 23 next to the pink, so I'll try that.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

The AE N-205 networks are from stylelines, if that helps.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.