News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New from NE FL

Started by Melanie W., September 20, 2014, 09:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanie W.

Hi all, I so enjoy and appreciate the info (and entertainment) in your threads. Very helpful for my first attempt to clean up a found treasure--a working bakelite 302. Happy with the results!

I blame this obsession on my teenagers.  They never returned cordless phones to their docking stations to charge and I tired of running through the house looking for a phone before I missed a call.  I threatened to go old-school on them; they would come home to find phones with attached handsets.

They didn't listen and I finally made good on the threats, I went to radio shack and bought a cheapy trimline to do the job.  Driving home I thought to myself, "how retro"--many of my friends don't even have land-lines any more, let alone a phone with a curly cord making it impossible to walk around the house with it!  It really was a cheap piece of plastic and whyyy did I just spend good $$ on that when possibly many of my older family members have the real deal stashed away in closets and attics??  By the time I got home with it I was already on the hunt.  Wasn't sure exactly what I was looking for, but as I searched online and saw the wide array of models through the decades I was hooked! 

I purchased a 302, 354, and 202, refurbished and modified for use, justifying the $$ with my husband as part of our "decorating" budget for the house we just moved into.  I thought I was sold just seeing the pictures, but once they're in your hands its a whole other love affair! Then of course, you hear the ring and you're smitten forever. 

My kids think I'm weird, my friends think I'm losing it, and the hubs patiently supports this new-found obsession. 

So, I can't tell you how cool (and reassuring) it is to have found this nice "support group".  :)

tallguy58

Welcome to the land of Phonitis.

We all have it, so don' t worry 8)
Cheers........Bill

HarrySmith

Hi Melanie, welcome to the asylum! You have found the best forum and the best bunch of crazies on the net!

I am in South Florida, Coral Springs to be exact. There is a show in Maitland every January. Just outside Orlando. I usually make the 3 hour drive to be there. Maybe you will next year.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Melanie W.

I found the show information on the TCI website; I hope I can make it down!

JimH

Welcome, Melanie!  You've got a great start on a nice working collection.  You will find that telephones are like peanuts....you can't just have a few, you always want more!

Jim
Jim H.

Fabius

Welcome. If you're in Florida try to get to one of the shows held there.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

dsk

Welcome, Melanie!
When my son get visitors they really don't know how to use that rotary, and are amazed about its working etc etc.

It may be to to late to warn you, but this hobby are addictive?? (my mothers tongue are Norwegian)

Keep on we will be your supporters  ;D

dsk

Melanie W.

dsk,

you are exactly right.  I had to show my kids how to use the rotary dial.   When their friends come over, we all watch a moment to see if they can figure it out, sometimes its quite entertaining.  I always have to show them in the end.

stub

Melanie W.,
                  Welcome to the Forum. We all have a good time here!!! stub
Kenneth Stubblefield