News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another mushroom phone

Started by Perry, February 23, 2009, 03:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perry

Maybe the feet deserve their own thread. FWIW, here is my round-foot phone from 1971. I think it must have spent most of its life in storage, but the feet (and the area around them) look nice.

Perry

Here is my 500 from 1959 with triangular plastic feet. Sure enough, with rust around the edges. That black stuff on the bottom of the feet is thin adhesive foam I put on to stop the phone from sliding when I dial it.

Perry

And here is my 1958 500, with leather feet and nice paint with no rust around the feet. BTW, what would the WNR imprints mean? Dates when it was refurbished/tested?

Dennis Markham

Those pads in the top photo are what I was talking about when I said they don't seem to rust as bad as the thinner round plastic feet with the ridge around them.  I am not sure what WNR designates but I'm sure it's a repair date.  What the W and N stand for is a mystery to me.  Probably field repairs.

Perry

That phone must have had a lot of problems to need four repairs in 2 years!

Dan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 23, 2009, 10:05:24 PM
The same transformer will work for the mushroom phones.  They connect very similar to the Princess phones, if not the same.  The red and green wires are for Tip and Ring and the yellow and black for the lamp.  I think.  :)
Now I probably could wire it up.
Thanks. It looks like he has a silver aftermarket lamp cover for this phone to match the tacky silver trim. The mushroom hood covers aren't made anymore are they?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

Did the cad plated bases rust on the 500s?  None of mine that are so coated have any rust, but the phones with black painted bases and rubberish feet are usually a little rusty.

Dennis Markham

I don't know about the gold colored bases rusting.  I'll have to look and see if I have any that are rusted.  Generally I try and not get anything that new.  I think they were released with the anodized base beginning in 1968, maybe 1969.

As far as the mushroom caps, there was someone selling them in white and black a while back.