News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

51AL with #2 or #5 dial??

Started by tallguy58, June 23, 2016, 03:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Here's a new auction in which the seller states the refurbished 51AL has a 5H dial but the photos show what looks like a #2 dial.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322165108386

Seller Description:  "51AL fully refurbished 5 years ago Candle Stick Telephone with 5h dial, like new, working condition with ringer box. Moving into contemporary home, no longer works with decor. Retails for over $800."
Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

It definitly is a #2 dial. One of the pictures shows the patent dates on the side of the dial.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Fabius

I wonder if he knows it's a #2 dial but plans to swich it out to a #5?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on June 23, 2016, 07:43:41 PM
I wonder if he knows it's a #2 dial but plans to swich it out to a #5?

That would be on the line.

I'm not sure about the $800 claim. Seems a few hundred too high even with a #2 dial, but it is a nice set up of it ships as pictured.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on June 23, 2016, 05:43:04 PM
It definitly is a #2 dial. One of the pictures shows the patent dates on the side of the dial.

I'm not sure that the location of the patent dates will give you a definitive answer. Many #4 and some #5 dials used to be #2 dials.

It looks like a #2 because of the finger stop location but who knows, it may be a #2 upgraded to a #5 and someone has replaced the original (or repro)  finger stop.

So, it's probably a #2 - but it may not be.

Helpfully,
Jack

Jack Ryan

I thought eBay *was* retail.

Jack

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 23, 2016, 08:18:59 PM
I'm not sure that the location of the patent dates will give you a definitive answer. Many #4 and some #5 dials used to be #2 dials.

It looks like a #2 because of the finger stop location but who knows, it may be a #2 upgraded to a #5 and someone has replaced the original (or repro)  finger stop.

So, it's probably a #2 - but it may not be.

Helpfully,
Jack

I was adding onto the already-mentioned external finger stop. If someone were really desperate, they could tap a couple holes and mount a repro stop. The few #4s with patent dates were only made from early #2 dials with the stop replaced, IIRC.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Trying not to be too obvious, I sent this question to the seller:  "How did you determine this has a 5H dial and what is the model number of the subset, the ringer box? Can you post a picture of the insides of the ringer box?"

Seller replied with:  "I'm not certain about the 5H dial, that's how it was sold to me, so I just assumed that what it was, attached is a photo of the ringer box."

Photo sent is from the back so I would say the owner is someone who has never taken a phone apart or opened the subset. Doesn't really help with the dial or what's inside the subset but it does seem to say the seller listed it as honestly as he could based on what he knows.

TelePlay

Just noticed the one bid on this phone was retracted yesterday afternoon.    Hmmmm . . . 

andre_janew

It may have had nothing to do with the phone.  It could be that he realized he didn't have the money or the credit to buy the phone.

TelePlay

With a day and a  half to go, the phone attracted a new buyer.

poplar1

The pictures aren't very good, but I believe that's a 2-type dial, with early no-Z number plate.

Yes, there are many 2Ax dials that were converted to 4H in the WE repair shops: The external finger stop was changed to internal,  the finger stop  holes filled, the A contact spring pileup changed to H type, notched number plate  added, 
"4H" and the conversion date were stamped on the back. I've seen about 50 of these conversions on 302s, 202s, and 151ALs.

So, it is possible that someone took a 2A > 4H conversion and attempted to restore it to a 2A by adding an original or repro finger stop. I'm not convinced of that. By the way, I can't imagine what a 2A > 5H  conversion would be. Some  2A > 4H
conversions, as well as updated 4Hs, have " twin contacts" (bifurcated) that required moving the W screw terminal to the left of Y, as found on 5H dials. But these are still 4Hs.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Sold with one bid . . .