News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1964 Matching Date All Original -58 White 500 C/D

Started by TelePlay, May 03, 2015, 09:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Saved this all original gem in the rough at a local antique store for $12.99 plus tax ($13.65). It amazed me that this phone was still there at $13 when a black 500 and a black North Electric were in the same store priced in the $60-$80 range. Popped the handset caps off and both elements were dated 6-11-64 which matched the base stamped 6-64. Good shape except for the excessive yellowing of the white plastic. The bottom had the typical corrosion around the neoprene feet. The handset and line cords are in great shape. Looked clean, had no damage and was equipped with a soft center fingerwheel - in 1964?

Opened it up last night to find it is an all original, matching date 500 that both worked as purchased and was almost NOS clean inside. The dates found were:

Housing embossed 64 with 6 tick marks on the clock
Ringer II-64 in stamped into the ringer frame
425E network 6-64
G1 handset (receiver end) embossed 64 with 6 tick marks on the clock
Transmitter cap 6-64 stamped into the plastic
T1 6-11-64 in black ink
Receiver cap 6-64 stamped into the plastic
U1 6-11-64 in white ink
Dial 7C  -58  6-64 in vermillion ink
Bezel has a grey gasket in place
Handset Cord Restraint  6 || 4
Line Cord Restraint  6 || 4

The plastic is very yellowed on the dial side. The back of the phone and handset is still close to white. Going to need a bit of sun, a large plastic bag and a bit of volume 30 peroxide to bring this one back.

It's always nice to know this original as built piece of history is now saved and safe from being painted red for a prop phone at some theatrical production, and then tossed in the garbage at strike. Yes, that does happen, I've seen that happen a few times years before I began to collect phones. A very nice find at $13.65.

WEBellSystemChristian

Very nice, John!

I believe open-centers were generally used (although there isn't any strict evidence) for as long as the #7 dial was being used. Once they switched to the #9, the closed centers were used. The #9 replaced the #7 in 1965 or so.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford