News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Guide to Antique Porcelain Enamel Antique Signs (Book)

Started by Doug Rose, February 27, 2011, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone buy this book yet? I have. It advertises "unusual and rare signs "PHOTOGRAPHED." My copy has NO photographs, just sketches of the signs. $27.50 down the drain. Very disappointing....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I like it as a sign referance. I have Bob's other sign books. The signs are drawn as well. I assumed that this book was drawn. My biggest complaint is the "feel"  (tactile) of the cover.

Bob has documented hundreds of signs over the years (many in B/W) a lot of the signs were in terrible condition. That is why he draws them.

I agree that the ad is misleading, The Photographed should be deleted.

Doug,
It is still a good referance.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Good reference, but when you expect photographs; it is disappointing. Also misleading in his advertsing. I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it was sketches. I know what you mean about the feel, something is not right...Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

I finally tracked down a copy of this book and I have found it to be invaluable.  It is not a coffee table book of old sign photos, for that I recommend the back section of Ron Knappen's Payphone History.  Instead it gives you an exact depiction of what a sign is supposed to look like. So far I have only found one of my signs that is not in the book!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

The book is a great guide but remember........ a lot of the signs depicted in the book
do not exist except in rumor, legend or "maybes".

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

Ever see a photo, or know of anyone that has a .... West Palm Beach....Pauling Home Telephone....Home tel&tel Pay Station (I know of one Home tel&tel of Spokane 11X11).... Perry telephone......Coos telephone.....New York and Penn 08 bell)...N.J Bell Lebanon, NJ.....  and others that have never been seen or photographed.

If anyone has, or knows of any of these and other NEVER seen signs, please let me  know
so that I can say I was wrong. In fact I would love to stand corrected. (Please send pictures)

If anyone has what they believe to be a one of a kind or VERY rare sign PLEASE let me know.
Please send picture if possible. I have tried, at various times since the late 1960's, to research
many signs rumored to exist and reached many a dead end. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.... Ell

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Signguy

Its been over a year since I penned the following post. I am quite surprised (or maybe not surprised) that nobody has come up with any examples of these "supposed" signs. I am still am under the notion that a lot of the signs
in the book do NOT exist. If proof lurks out there somewhere please post so
that I can have something to shoot for in my quest for a new sign..

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cheers.... Ell

"Ever see a photo, or know of anyone that has a .... West Palm Beach....Pauling Home Telephone....Home tel&tel Pay Station (I know of one Home tel&tel of Spokane 11X11).... Perry telephone......Coos telephone.....New York and Penn 08 bell)...N.J Bell Lebanon, NJ.....  and others that have never been seen or photographed.

If anyone has, or knows of any of these and other NEVER seen signs, please let me  know
so that I can say I was wrong. In fact I would love to stand corrected. (Please send pictures)

If anyone has what they believe to be a one of a kind or VERY rare sign PLEASE let me know.
Please send picture if possible. I have tried, at various times since the late 1960's, to research
many signs rumored to exist and reached many a dead end. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.... Ell"