News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Surprise Find Today - Picture Frame Front N1317 for $20!

Started by DavePEI, October 17, 2013, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Is my hook really NE and not WE?  I entered USA as the country of origin for the shipping.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 17, 2013, 10:23:22 PM
Is my hook really NE and not WE?  I enter USA as the country of origin for the shipping.

Larry
Hi Larry:

It looks like it, but that doesn't matter - the difference is impossible to tell. It will go through fine... Same part number. Point of origin is still USA as you are sending it from there.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

The country of origin would affect customs duty.  At least when bringing goods into the USA, that is the case.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 17, 2013, 10:34:02 PM
The country of origin would affect customs duty.  At least when bringing goods into the USA, that is the case.

Larry
Hi Larry:

No customs duty between Canada and the US thankfully - Free Trade. It still goes through customs - only to put HST on it and to check for contraband.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Progress Report, Day 2:

I accomplished quite a bit this morning beginning with cleaning and further accessment of the interior. The extraneous Kellogg switch was removed, and the NE switch re-installed, thankfully left by its former owner. As someone said, he probably just wanted a place to hang his receiver - it certainly couldn't work as it was done. Just a matter of finding its screws and re-attaching it once I had removed the Kellogg switch. Fortunately, he hadn't moved any of the wiring over to the new switch. I now have to await the replacement switch hook arm coming.

I took out the magneto and lubed it as well as adjusting and cleaning its contacts. It turns much easier now and is generating a good 85 volts.

On this phone as it came from the factory, the wires to the magneto and those to the transmitter originally ran from the hinges over to the associated devices. They had been replaced by a heavy gauge solid wire. They have been restored so they come through the hinges again. This is a scheme similar to the way wiring is run through the hinges in my Bell Canada 3 Box Blake phone.

When I jumper L1 to the ringer it now rings as it should. There is more wiring inside which needs to be restored, but I can take my time on it, as the switch hook arm will take at least a week to come.

One transmitter lead had pulled out of the transmitter and its arm at some point. This afternoon, I restored that connection and replaced a couple of the missing terminals from spares I had here. So it is proceeding, and starting to look good inside as well.

The phone itself is actually according to its stamping, a 1317 F which NE lists in its 1914 #2  catalogue as equipped with 1600 Ω ringer and 5 bar magneto  and N1A condenser.

If anyone wants that Kellogg switch and arm, let me know - I will part with it for the same amount I paid for the WE/NE arm alone plus shipping.

I am still very pleased with the condition of the wooden cabinet - all it will need now is a coat of paste wax.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: DavePEI on October 17, 2013, 10:42:55 PM
The country of origin would affect customs duty.  At least when bringing goods into the USA, that is the case.

Larry
Hi Larry:

No customs duty between Canada and the US thankfully - Free Trade. It still goes through customs - only to put HST on it and to check for contraband.

Dave

Those cunning Canadians are always on the lookout for illicit antique phone parts.  The box is sitting on my doorstep awaiting the arrival of the letter carrier (who usually doesn't appear until after 5:00 PM).

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 18, 2013, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on October 17, 2013, 10:42:55 PM

Larry
Hi Larry:

Dave

Those cunning Canadians are always on the lookout for illicit antique phone parts.  The box is sitting on my doorstep awaiting the arrival of the letter carrier (who usually doesn't appear until after 5:00 PM).

Larry
Thanks, Larry! Somewhere around the Forum is the story of my Radio Shack phone tester which arrived several weeks late with customs tape sealing it, all umpteen screws out of the back cover and rolling around in the box. I could always picture a customs officer crying after going to the trouble of opening it up and finding nothing he shouldn't. Oops - There goes that bonus! Couldn't even be bothered to put it back together!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Hi All':

I have taken a photo of the N1317F schematic pasted on the door of my phone. It shows the path through the hinges to the transmitter and the bells. It also carries a date - the most significant part, the year, doesn't show well.

Here is that photo. Click on it to enlarge it!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

What is your best guess as to the date? May 13 1935?

You mentioned previously:
"The phone itself is actually according to its stamping, a 1317 F"
I assume you are rferring to the stamped in number on inside of the door? If so, it looks like N 317F here on the left coast.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 18, 2013, 08:00:51 PM
What is your best guess as to the date? May 13 1935?

You mentioned previously:
"The phone itself is actually according to its stamping, a 1317 F"
I assume you are rferring to the stamped in number on inside of the door? If so, it looks like N 317F here on the left coast.

Terry
Hi Terry:

Up close it appears to be 1915, but we will never know for sure as the number didn't stamp well. That would be in keeping with the picture frame front, long neck transmitter, and through the hinge wiring which was eliminated in later production. I wish it had stamped better!

The 1 is insignificant as explained to me before. They are listed in the catalogues as 1317F and on the phones with 317F -- this is pretty standard. 317F is the box only. The 1317F is a 317F plus a transmitter, plus a receiver, plus a cord = 1317F.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I have posted this elsewhere on the Forum, but I thought it worth repeating here. Here is the guarantee which covered these phones:
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

For an interesting comparison of this early 1317, I am attaching a drawing for a later 1317 in a PDF file. Note: the through hinge wiring is gone in the later versions. Later versions have only 3 hinges on the door.

I sometimes amaze myself with the parts I have in the museum - I found the correct pin today made to hold the hook arm into the switch.  So, as soon as the switch comes from Larry, The phone will be done. The moral of the story, is NEVER throw away a part, no matter how small or insignificant it seems! If you don't need it - someone else will!

Famous last words - "I'll never need that again!"  :)

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Other than the replacement switch hook arm coming from Larry, I have the inside of the 1317 cleaned up and the wiring restored. Note the wiring through the hinges as shown in the schematic (shown earlier in this thread). This is the same type of construction used on my Bell Canada long-pole Blake 3 box phone. Later 1317s used direct wiring to the transmitter and the bells and had three hinges instead of four. I installed small sections of heat shrink tubing on many wires where they were fraying to prevent further deterioration.

Despite my hesitation to take this phone since I had several 1317s, I am glad I didn't turn it down. When I finally saw it, I knew I had something special!

Photo below:
C*NET 1-651-0001

Contempra

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 18, 2013, 10:00:30 AM

Those cunning Canadians are always on the lookout for illicit antique phone parts.  The box is sitting on my doorstep awaiting the arrival of the letter carrier (who usually doesn't appear until after 5:00 PM).

Larry

Hi Larry. As regards me I don't buy illegal parts or false reproductions even if I am Canadian.. .je still prefer the original for a phone, TV or antique radio or even wristwatches... Now I collect that wristwatches and phones because the rest has become too expensive to buy and the shipping is overpriced... ;)