News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Fiddleback

Started by wds, July 03, 2013, 04:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked up this nice Fiddleback - very good shape, but needs a good cleaning.  This one is a little different than the others I have, or have seen.  Does not have a magneto, or any provision for one.  Is this a Common Battery phone, or is the magneto a separate box?   The condensor looks like a very old one, not the kind you would see on a more modern common battery phone.  Any ideas?
Dave

poplar1

No battery and no generator---this is a common battery phone. Like modern phones, it requires a condenser so that the ringer does not keep the line off-hook.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

That was my first thought, but that large condensor would be from a turn of the century phone, before common battery.  I guess I"ll have to hook it up to a phone line and see what happens.
Dave

poplar1

Common battery has been around since 1899 if I recall correctly. I'll try to research it.

Stromberg-Carlson started making phones in 1894, when Bell's original patents expired. I don't know what year this model started.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Re connected a couple wires, plugged it in, and works like a charm.  I guess the "c" on the front of the transmitter should have been a clue.  Thanks!
Dave

Sargeguy

The Western Electric TYPE 85 was the Bell System version of this phone
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409