"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing a Rotatone unit from a WE 565

Started by BlueDavis, November 13, 2017, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueDavis

Hello !

I've recently got on-board with classic rotary phones by getting a WE 565, thanks to Madmen and the work of Saul Bass on the 69's Bell System graphic standards. As a graphic designer this phone is then for me a must have. The unit have a Rotatone unit inside. The problem is that the phone make some weird noises when i plug it to my VoIP box, and i can't dial any numbers with it.

Here's an audio clip of the noise.

So now that i've got a Dialgizmo and a Xlink BTTN, i want to remove the Rotatone unit but here's the problem ; i know absolutely nothing about old phones, especially this one since it was a multi line one.

Here's some pictures of the phone, i added some inside pictures of the beast in the attachments.

So if someone can guide me though the process of removing this, "tumor", heh, i would really appreciate it.

Thank you !

david@london

hullo blue davis -

welcome to the CRPF.
i can't help with your specified problem - other, more technically-minded people will offer to advise i'm sure.

that's a very nice phone you have. i thought you might appreciate seeing this
pdf of a 6 button keyset numbercard  (see below). 

this link to a saul bass/bell system promo film was posted some time ago.

edit - just curious, but isn't the red 'hold' button normally located on the left?

HarrySmith

Hello and Welcome! I know nothing about Rotatone, never used one but I would recommend carefully remove all the wires for the unit, that should do it.
Also a warning, these old phones are addictive. Phoneitis is a progrssive, incurable disease, we all have it. Soon you will want another color or maybe a PBX so you can use your phone properly and then more phones to hook up to it. Then there are signs, tools, directories, the list goes on & on. Welcome to the Asylum!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

BlueDavis

Quote from: david@london on November 13, 2017, 04:18:00 PM
hullo blue davis -

welcome to the CRPF.
i can't help with your specified problem - other, more technically-minded people will offer to advise i'm sure.

that's a very nice phone you have. i thought you might appreciate seeing this
pdf of a 6 button keyset numbercard  (see below). 

this link to a saul bass/bell system promo film was posted some time ago.

edit - just curious, but isn't the red 'hold' button normally located on the left?

Thanks ! I'll now how to make a close to real numbercard for the 6 buttons ! Yeah the red one should be on the left but i moved it on the far right cause i wanted a button to stay put with a red color.

Yeah i already know this video from Bass, such a magnificent piece of history, too bad we only have a low quality version.

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 13, 2017, 04:36:37 PM
Hello and Welcome! I know nothing about Rotatone, never used one but I would recommend carefully remove all the wires for the unit, that should do it.
Also a warning, these old phones are addictive. Phoneitis is a progrssive, incurable disease, we all have it. Soon you will want another color or maybe a PBX so you can use your phone properly and then more phones to hook up to it. Then there are signs, tools, directories, the list goes on & on. Welcome to the Asylum!

Thank you ! Well the problem is that the wires that comes from the rotatone and go to the dial system are welded (see the pic below)

If i cut them i should probably put them somewhere else on the board.

HarrySmith

OK. It could not be that simple could it. Unless there are spades under that tape it looks like you will have to cut the wires and put some new spade connectors on the dial wires. There is a topic here about spades & crimpers along with links about where to get them. Try looking here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4071.0

Then you will need the wiring diagram here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/2891-502-543-405-i1-service-2565hk-telephone-sets-tl

There is enough for a good start!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

why did you tape together the dial connections when there are plenty of spare terminals to use? since most of these phone don't have and exclusion switch, the top row of screw terminals could have been use to make connections.... ET, ER , EH, etc.
John

poplar1

Connect the 9C dial as follows:

Green to F on the network
Blue to RR on network
White to GN
White to R
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

BlueDavis

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 14, 2017, 03:09:18 PM
why did you tape together the dial connections when there are plenty of spare terminals to use? since most of these phone don't have and exclusion switch, the top row of screw terminals could have been use to make connections.... ET, ER , EH, etc.

I bought the phone with the rotatone already installed.

Quote from: poplar1 on November 14, 2017, 03:12:01 PM
Connect the 9C dial as follows:

Green to F on the network
Blue to RR on network
White to GN
White to R

Thanks, i'll try that this week-end.

19and41

You might try contacting oldphoneworks.com  .  They market the rotatone and do installs.  they may be able to help you.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

BlueDavis

Quote from: 19and41 on November 17, 2017, 02:29:35 PM
You might try contacting oldphoneworks.com  .  They market the rotatone and do installs.  they may be able to help you.

Welp, no need for that, thanks to poplar1 the phone is fully functional ! The Xlink BTTN works like a charm too. The only problem is the Dialgizmo ; the dial-hold features don't work very well, what a shame.

Also i'm looking for a Western Electric 564 number window, if someone have one for sale, send me a pm

poplar1

Quote from: BlueDavis on November 18, 2017, 12:30:40 PM

Also i'm looking for a Western Electric 564 number window, if someone have one for sale, send me a pm

Your housing already has the "new, improved" version, that snaps in like the shorter windows for 2500s or Trimlines.

The part in your picture works only with the older housings that have holes for mounting it. See attached photo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222698099261
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

BlueDavis

Yeah i know but someone on the forum successfully added the old one on top of the new.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3681.0