News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

With the permission of the original author, I've created a revised AE40 coding sheet that better explains hopefully what defines an early AE40 (Coded MA), and what defines a later AE40 (Coded MB).

Drawing have been added to show early AE40, and later AE40 housings and parts.

The balance of the coding hasn't changed, but there was need to clarify better "early" and "later" versions.

Feedback and comments would be appreciated please, so that if necessary further revision may be made.

I'm aware that sources for translating the original coding is sparse at best, but maybe this latest revision will help more.

Thank you, and all feedback appreciated,
RotoTech99

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

RotoTech99

Dear Fabius:

It was my pleasure... I know the original author & had has express permission to post this.

He and I spent a lot of discussion on it.

I hope others will find it useful as well

RotoTech99

Jack Ryan

This list does not mention the difference between the Type 40 sets and the Type 41 sets (ID beginning with 40 or 41).

Of the AE 40s I have seen, the later set is a Type 41, has a high impedance ringer and uses a coding system like that used for the AE 47.

Only very occasionally have I come across a Type 40 with a high impedance ringer or a Type 41 with a low impedance ringer. I put these down to being modified sets.

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 03, 2017, 08:24:39 PM
This list does not mention the difference between the Type 40 sets and the Type 41 sets (ID beginning with 40 or 41).

That was also one of my first thoughts when I saw the subject matter.
I also find no reliable references for any of the stated "rules"; there ought to be some kind of base reference material that substantiates at least some of the assumptions, some case examples.  Since this document claims to be an update—an update to what ?—I would expect some kind of reference to the prior work, including authorship.

RotoTech99

I haven't seen reference to a type 41 in AE 40 documents..Most of the ones I have seen had "41" on the bottom,but I'm
not sure what the "41" refers to.

If I had a good explanation of how the "41" fits into the coding, I could add it in.

I wonder if the "41" could be for what I'm using MA and MB for, to designate early and later run AE40's?

The coding I'm using is meant mainly to provide a way to code an AE40 IG no information was found in original form to code the AE40's with.

unbeldi

Based on this "guide" what do you suggest a set coded like this looks like:

L 4123 E25 UD 6

I am just picking a random example from my collection records.

RotoTech99

By a guess, I would say a black AE40 with a 23 cyc. freq. ringer.

I'd have to see a photo to formulate a code under the coding I'm using

RotoTech99

You pose a reasonable question, Unbeldi... I can't say this coding will work for everyone, but maybe someone will find it useful, and give more suggestions and ideas to improve the guide

unbeldi

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 03, 2017, 08:55:08 PM
By a guess, I would say a black AE40 with a 23 cyc. freq. ringer.

I'd have to see a photo to formulate a code under the coding I'm using

There is no such thing as a 23 Hz frequency ringer.

I am beginning to think I am totally misunderstanding the purpose of this scheme.  I have never seen any marking that contained MA or MB.

If this is a homemade scheme to describe any set, I find it mostly useless, because nobody will know what it means without the guide. And if I have the set, I don't need a guide to see what it contains.  The manufacturing date is usually hard to determine anyways and any kind of specific formulation of that would simply be misleading. Only the very late sets made in Northlake had a manufacturing date stamped.

I would find it much more useful to describe my sets as being blue, red or purple, having a frequency ringer of some frequency, refer to the type of soldering used, or other connection method, and the type of dial mount if it is anything other then the normally found type, etc. etc.

Most of the sets found today, have been refurbished anyways, probably several times, making any kind of certain determination dubious at best.

RotoTech99

Sorry about the error on the freq. ringer; I'd have to find my documents with the ringer codes... I know its the last two figures
of the main code before the last 3 code letters.

I can go back and see if I can figure it out.

I would not consider the coding a scheme, and Arthur Bernea who originally authored it would not either. It was originally created
as a way for him to label and identify AE40's he could not originally find coding data on.

Partly due to some not yet able willing to release any documents they have s
in addition to incomplete or missing data somewhat complicates things.

If someone suggests ways i can improve the coding, both Arthur and I welcome it.

RotoTech99

Dear Unbeldi:

I reread the code u sent me, I still think the code you sent is for a black AE40, but with a 25 cycle ringer; the "E" I am not sure about.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on January 03, 2017, 08:49:27 PM
Based on this "guide" what do you suggest a set coded like this looks like:

L 4123 E25 UD 6

I am just picking a random example from my collection records.

I don't know how to fully decode this but:

41 = later with High-Z ringer (I forget the ringer code)
23 = Don't know but this is the most common code and seems to correlate with black case and no highlights (the poverty pack)
E   = Black lettered dial
25 = (I think) 25 Hz ringer

I have been on about the 40 and 41 codes (as well as the 50 and 51 codes) for years but I still haven't found an official description of this or any other AE 40 or earlier code.

Regards
Jack

Jack Ryan

By the way, the code used on the Type 41 AE 40s is different from the code used on the Type 40 AE 40s.

Ditto for the Type 50 and Type 51 AE 50s.

Jack

RotoTech99

By "high -z", do you mean HIGH IMPEDANCE ringer?

By black lettered dial, do you mean the white porcelain metropolitan dial with red numbers and black letters?