News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

the paypal scam

Started by Babybearjs, July 19, 2018, 05:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

well... this is where I draw the line with technology.... I recently got a security email from Paypal notifying my of some unauthorized charges.... a scammer managed to get into my account and try to charge multiple charges and paypal notified me of it only to find out one of the charges went through....$300 to be exact.... and my account was over drawn even..... so now I have to call paypal... and my bank.... find out what is happening and try to stop it. I was watch a youtube video about paypal and the person mentioned that its good to have a dedicated account JUST for Paypal.... a lot of fraud is going through them and I'm only 1 of many who get hit.... so.... If I do have to close the paypal account, Ebay will be the next inline to get the Ax.... this is why I hate technology... too many people out there try to steal money through banking services...so if you sell on ebay, and use Paypal on a regular basis BEWARE!!! PayPal in NOT SECURE! scammers are all over it like bees on honey... man, am I mad! anyway... I might be going back to a cash only system..... and not shopping online anymore.... but, time will tell.... if this gets fixed right away or screws up my finances good...which its already done! so, be careful out there...   
John

FABphones

Sorry to read that. Hope you get it sorted ok.

Taking this thread to give another reminder, although most of us know it by now: never reply or click on links via 'their' emails. Always contact paypal, eBay, banks etc directly. Another scam is one similar to the one above were it says account has been accessed but actually it's just to get you to click on the link and give your passwords and info out via bogus eBay/paypal/bank 'lookalike' sites.

And remember to regularly change your passwords.

Stay safe folks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

twocvbloke

Remember that any official messages received from companies will name you in the message, anything that says "Dear customer" or something along those lines, it's usually spam or a phishing attempt...

RB

I have an account just for online purchases.
It never has money in it, unless  I am gonna buy something.
Then I remove any extra after I am done.
Gratefully, I have not had a problem.

Sargeguy

I use PayPal credit and then pay it off immediately.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Before you take drastic actions, call PayPal and DO NOT answer the email. Sounds like a "phishing" email  as twocvbloke stated..... These are common scams...be very careful. I sold on eBay for years and still use PayPal for purchase ....I never had an issue with PayPal...besides  taking too much of my money 8)....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Several years ago, as I was doing some things with my bank account online.  When I refreshed the screen, I saw a withdrawal of $300 that had just been posted.  I looked at the details and it said it was from an ATM in NYC.  I have never been there, let alone within the last few minutes.  I called the bank and then went down to close the account and open a new one.  They suggested I open another account for doing purchases online.  I did, but turned out to be a pain in the neck because I would forget to fund it for purchases and consequently got overdrafts, so I closed it.

I get phishing emails all the time.  It makes me suspicious in that they disguise themselves (rather crudely) as a merchant I recently used, or include the merchant name, such as a book distributor I often use, CBD.  I never got the phishing scams until I made a few purchases from them.  Where are they getting that info?  I know better than to click the link from them.  Most I do is move the mouse over the link (DO NOT CLICK) and at the bottom of the screen it will show the URL where it goes.  I mark them as junk then go in and permanently delete them, I do not want them on my PC at all.

My bank has a policy of not including links in any email they send. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

So did you talk to PayPal? Was it just a phishing email?....Doug
Kidphone

dc4code

PayPal always gives me trouble... I hope you sort everything out sorry this happened to you!

AL_as_needed

My bank, a local credit union, is pretty hyper about false charges. So hyper in fact that when I went to college half a state away, I had to call them and let them know that it was in fact me draining the account for books.....and some "beverages"  :P.  Always have had great luck with local banks, anything goes wrong there is no question, just a refund and a new debit card.
TWinbrook7