News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory repaint? REF: Rust-Oleum 249073 Satin Ivory Silk

Started by Pourme, September 26, 2016, 10:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

How does one deal with continentals and imperials that need touch up or resprays of the ivory finish? This continental needs a new transmitter cap. If I could successfully paint one of my black Bakelite ones that would be easier than finding a original painted one. I have a Imperial on the way that would benefit from a touch up or possible respray. Is there a source for that particular color.

I feel certain this is a fairly common issue. Any suggestions?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

unbeldi

I recommend this paint:

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint & Primer (Wood, Metal, Plastic & More) 12oz.
249073 Satin Ivory Silk, barcode (0) 2006618730 (9)

For me it has provided essentially perfect match for the ivory of Continentals.
I haven't painted an entire cap, but it should be possible.  Today's paints are much better than in 1955, even from the spray can.

This 202 was touched up with that paint, mostly on the handset, I don't recall whether the cradle ears needed any touch up, if they did it was very minimal.

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on September 26, 2016, 10:50:06 PM
I recommend this paint:

Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover Paint & Primer (Wood, Metal, Plastic & More) 12oz.
249073 Satin Ivory Silk, barcode (0) 2006618730 (9)

For me it has provided essentially perfect match for the ivory of Continentals.

That's great...thanks! I never dreamed it would be that simple....I will pick some up.

I appreciate the response!
Benny

unbeldi

Pourme

You can partially touch up without a complete respray?

That is remarkable, really. Paint match is difficult. What you did there looks great!

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while. I did a search and didn't find anything.
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on September 26, 2016, 11:08:31 PM
You can partially touch up without a complete respray?

That is remarkable, really. Paint match is difficult. What you did there looks great!

I have been meaning to ask this question for a while. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Thinking back about this now, I ended up spraying most of the caps, because the match was really good and I liked the result.   At first I had sanded the areas that were chipped down to make them perfectly smooth without paint edges.  On the handset handle I think I blended it in.

The housing was almost mint in paint condition, it didn't need anything on the larger surfaces.

Pourme

I'm glad to know that...my continental has been setting for months waiting for a paint solution.
Benny

unbeldi

The paint I quoted does not dry quickly. Be patient.
I just happened to visit with the pictured Continental, and cannot tell a difference in paint color on the handset.  It seems as original and hard as on the housing that was not painted. It has been perhaps three years or so since painting.

Also you have to observe that the quoted paint is a satin finish, not glossy. It will not be as glossy as phones likely were when coming from the WECo shops.
I prefer to polish the paint to the desired degree of gloss to match the rest of the set, after it has completely hardened.
I don't remember whether they had a glossy version of the identical hue.

Pourme

I went to Home Depot and Lowes with no luck...I checked with a True Value Hardware and they had way more choice than the big guys. I thought about the satin finish and checked for glossy, there wasn't any. I got 2 cans of the satin & am looking forward to using it! Thanks again for the suggestion!

Incidentally, I had the same experience when I was searching for 'Howard' wood care products. Life in a small community.

Thank goodness for TV stores, I'd hate to have to order these products on the internet, which is what I was prepared to do.

Benny
Benny

WEBellSystemChristian

Another option to add gloss would be to add an Enamel clear coat, but you would need to first wetsand the finish with 800 or 1000 grit.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Pourme

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on September 29, 2016, 08:59:56 PM
Another option to add gloss would be to add an Enamel clear coat, but you would need to first wetsand the finish with 800 or 1000 grit.

Good point...
Benny

Pourme

While in my local Wal Mart, I found this Ivory gloss spray paint. From what I could tell it looked close, so I gave it a shot. As you can see it is a bit light. So now we know.

Fortunately, after 14 hours of application it was easily removed with Goof Off. I just re applied with the proper paint.

Also, pipe insulation works well to hold the cap!
Benny