News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is it possable to use this Candlestick

Started by Canuck, February 17, 2013, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

I was given this Northern Electric Candlestick, is it possible to use it as is? or do I need a subset?

the wires are red green and white? no black
thanks

poplar1

Red, green and yellow. Should be used with a subset such as a Northern Electric 295A; Western Electric 295A, or WE 534A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

dsk

Now the colors should be right.

If you want to test it try to connect green and Yellow to telephone line, and just tape the red one.

You should have a subset, and you may easily make a simple one.

dsk

Canuck

I tried the wires as you suggested and had nothing. if I try the red and green I can hear but not speak.

Phonesrfun

That indicates that the transmitter circuit is open.  That would need to be fixed before getting a subset.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Nice phone!  Looks like a 20-S.  It should be marked on the back of the perch.  It may have been repainted, in which case it may be some other mark.  The transmitter looks like its later.  Can you post a picture of the tag on the front of the transmitter?  Or let us know what is says?  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Canuck

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 17, 2013, 01:55:34 PM
That indicates that the transmitter circuit is open.  That would need to be fixed before getting a subset.

If you look at the one photo above the transmitter is hooked to the same plate as the yellow should it be matched up with either the red or green? as you can tell I really have no idea about this. ;)

Sargeguy

Take the faceplate out of the transmitter cup and make sure both wires are connected to the back of the transmitter.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

The wires from the transmitter going to the hookswitch and plate are correctly connected.  You may need to find a small screwdriver and remove the 4 small screws around the edge of the transmitter cup to see if both wires are connected to the back of the transmitter.  Just don't loose the small screws.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

It may not be necessary to completely remove the four screws holding the transmitter to the cup to remove the transmitter face plate.

Larry

Phonesrfun

One other thing that would cause the phone not to work is if the back-most spring of the hookswitch does not make contact with the other two springs when the phone is off-hook.

You might check that.
-Bill G

Canuck

Quote from: dsk on February 17, 2013, 01:00:29 PM
Now the colors should be right.

If you want to test it try to connect green and Yellow to telephone line, and just tape the red one.

You should have a subset, and you may easily make a simple one.

dsk

How do you make a subset?
thanks

Canuck

Quote from: Canuck on February 17, 2013, 05:11:16 PM
Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 17, 2013, 01:55:34 PM

If you look at the one photo above the transmitter is hooked to the same plate as the yellow should it be matched up with either the red or green? as you can tell I really have no idea about this. ;)

I think I need to clarify this.
One side of the transmitter and one side of the receiver are hooked to the same bus bar as the red wire.
the other side of the receiver is hooked to the green wire bus bar
the other side of the transmitter is hooked to the the yellow wire bus bar.
If I hook up the red wire from the house line to the red wire on the phone and the green wire on the house line to the green wire on the phone I have a complete circuit for the receiver and can hear but the yellow wire is not hooked to anything so not a complete circuit.

To my limited knowledge the house phone only uses the red and green wires the yellow and black in the box are another line is this correct? or should I hook the yellow from the house line to the yellow in the phone?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but thank for all your help.

dsk

Quote from: Canuck on February 18, 2013, 06:29:09 AM

How do you make a subset?
thanks

It is so many ways, depending on what you have of parts, and what you wish.

The simplest (in all matters) is a coil (choke) and a capacitor. The best will be using parts from a telephone.  About any telephone have a usable induction coil, and if needed a capacitor.

If you want anti sidetone circuit, you put in a 4 conductor cord, and rearrange the circuit.

Among the sidetone circuits, your choice will be between booster circuit or reduced sidetone.
The booster circuit is good at long lines, the other in cities.

Take a look and see what you have, and within a few days, you have made it yourselves. (with help from the forum)  

dsk

Sargeguy

Are you able to open the transmitter?  Can you post a picture of the back of the transmitter when you have done so?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409