News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stats Telefonen German Telephone

Started by Doug Rose, November 07, 2012, 01:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Have a good trip home, say Hi to Gary for me and I hope you and your dad had a wonderful adventure in "America".

Terry

Doug Rose

I got a really nice surprise today!! The guy I bought the phone from emailed me and said he had a few more phones and parts for me to look at. Just around the corner from me. Couple of 302s for parts an E1 and a real nice AE handset that went on the 1A with nickel bands, a beautiful WE C1 spaceaver, Really a nice little haul. It would have been a good flea market day. The price was also right.

As I was leaving he asked me to look at a fiddleback he was keeping and sitting next to it was the handset for my phone!!! He must have got it when he purchased it complete and working with the AE handset and didn't realize that it went with my phone. Black cloth cord, just what I needed. A very minor chip on the back of the spit cup, but I am thrilled. I will attempt open the phone and swap out the handsets this weekend.

Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Doug,

You're a real old phone magnet!

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...the funny thing is ...I forgot I bought the phone from him. Really! Janet had picked up the phone and visited him again for me and got a nice haul after I got the phone. I had never met him. When I saw the handset I froze. I thought what a coincidence. A tad bummed about the chip, but that went away fast!! Driving home I placed it all together. I am getting old!!

I have wanted this phone forever. I think it is just the coolest design and all bakelite, base included. I am just over the moon with it. It will get a prime position in the phone room....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Doug Rose

Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 12, 2012, 04:21:18 PM

You're a real old phone magnet!

Larry

Yes he is straight out of a 6 magnet Magneto!

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose link=topic=7892.msg86929#msg86929 date=quote author=Doug Rose link=topic=7892.msg86929#msg86929 date=1352755944]
Driving home I placed it all together.

LOL - First thought I had is you behind the wheel with screw drivers and phone parts everywhere getting the handset back onto it's rightful phone on the trip home!

Terry

AE40FAN

Looks like something out of a Dr. Seuss storybook :)

Doug Rose

I finished it. I am more than happy with beauty. The fingerwheel was really oxidized. Bakelite just shines. Handset had the black cloth cord. Small chip where the cord enters the handset. This has been in my want list for a long time. I am thrilled!! The correct handset just makes this phone. Very different...Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Very nice!  So, did you figure out how to open it?  What is the purpose of the big ring on the top?  Is it for carrying the phone?

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 14, 2012, 08:30:46 PM
Very nice!  So, did you figure out how to open it?  What is the purpose of the big ring on the top?  Is it for carrying the phone?

Larry
Larry....I guess it was for carrying the phone around, that's how I did it. I removed the carrying loop wit the two screws and with a little coaxing I got it opened. Really odd set up for opening a phone. I was really nervous as the bakelite bottom is snug but it had been opened for the cheapie modular cord and the AE handset and cord. I really didn't want to chips or crack anything as I would have lost it.

It was a working phone, but has been retired to my phone room. I have never seen a phone this odd looking and still so attractive.

I am still amazed that original handset came along for the ride to the seller of the phone, and after three visits to him, I got it!! Very fortunate.....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

If you should happen to open it up again, please post some pictures from the inside of the telephone too. Maybe it is a wiring diagram there too?

dsk

Doug Rose

Well...lightning struck twice. I needed the handset and found it where I bought it a week later, but the mouthpiece had a chip out of it. As luck would have it, I saw this on eBay a few days ago. I was surprised no one bid on it but me. Looks like a perfect mouthpiece on this beauty. ...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350651426450
Kidphone