News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Speakerphone connections

Started by bingster, June 11, 2009, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bingster

I'm sure we've all seen these nifty speakerphones.  I don't have one yet, but I'm seriously considering getting one, since they don't go for much.  Does anybody have one of these, and if so have you tried hooking it up?  I'm wondering if the phone, as they are usually found, can be used as intended, or do they need some sort of external power supply, or do they need to be wired into an equipment cabinet?  Or can the line cord be wired to a standard connector block, and be fully functional that way?
= DARRIN =

foots

I don't know how to hook them up, but I've wanted one of these for a while now also. I was outbid on a green one and a black one a couple of weeks back.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Phonesrfun

It's an AE 880 and I have two of them, and they are easy to hook up.  They are powered by the phone line voltage, and even though a provision for an external power supply exists, it is not needed.  It is also a very well designed speakerphone.  And it looks "futuristic" if you are still in the '60's 

I will see what I can find as far as connecting it is concerned and I will check back.

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Bingster:

The TCI technical library has a schematic for the 880 Speakerphone under diagrams and Automatic Electric. It is scanned in two separate pieces.   Maybe it is more technical than what you are after, except it does have a hand written note at the bottom that says to hook the TIP side to the Green, Yellow, and Blue wires from the line cord.  The RING side should be connected to the Red wire and the Brown/green wire.  I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that polarity is unimportant, but that may not be right.  Try it out.  I don't think you can harm it.

Even though the speakerphone itself is remarkably high quality, the tweeter-type ringer is horribly anemic.

Does yours have a terminal block at the end of the line cord?  I am out of town visiting family, but if the diagram and information above does not get you going,  I can further look at mine.

-Bill
-Bill G

bingster

Thanks for the info, Bill.  I don't have one yet, but I've been scoping them out recently.  Now that I know I don't have to have any special extra equipment like with the WEco speakerphones, I'm even more enthused about getting one. 8)
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

They are "plug and play", and they do work well.

-Bill
-Bill G

mienaichizu

I have one and i tried hooking it up and it works well, but the speaker does not works. It looks like something is loose inside the speaker box.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

foots

Wow, that's a nice phone! I've never seen a red one before now.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bingster

The red one is listed as being "refinished," which means it's been painted red.  It's really beautiful, though.

From what I've seen, black and green seem to be the most common colors, but they were made in other colors besides those.
= DARRIN =