News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Member. Questions about age of my W.E. 151AL

Started by CandlestickCollector, August 17, 2014, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

The original number plate for a 2AA dial is the 132A, which has only numbers and "Operator," and no notch. This might have been updated to a 150A (all numbers) or 150B (numbers and letters)number plate when the phone was converted c. 1940. (Someone added the 164A later.)

You can use an anti-sidetone telephone with a sidetone subset. The black lead from the phone to the subset is not used in that setup. However, I don't know why you would want to do that, since you already have the right subset for a 151-AL. ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it.") Other than the number plate, I don't think anything has been changed on either the phone or the subset since c. 1940.

I've never found a subset that started out as a 634A or 634BA; all the ones I've seen were conversions from 534s, which originally had a 46 or 46B induction coil (with the wood blocks). Also, all 151-ALs are conversions from older models.

Did you find a date stamped in red on the ringer coil? Or on the cord restraints (quarter and 2-digit year).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: CandlestickCollector on August 18, 2014, 05:15:32 PM
Quote from: Sargeguy on August 18, 2014, 05:08:59 PM
I wouldn't bother restoring it, I would buy a 534 in nice condition and use that instead.
Would that work with my phone? The phone is antisidetone and the 534 is sidetone.
I found a 634A antisidetone subset for sale that has the older style ringer and wood induction coil.

If it's a 634A or 634BA, then it should have either a 146B induction coil or a 101A; both of these coils have a third winding for anti-sidetone. Do you see "146B" stamped on the coil, or is it a 46B or 46?

poplar1

Picture shows the original date "429" (April, 1929) on the inside cover of the subset. That matches the ringer style.

CandlestickCollector

Quote from: poplar1 on August 18, 2014, 05:56:14 PM
Quote from: CandlestickCollector on August 18, 2014, 05:15:32 PM
Quote from: Sargeguy on August 18, 2014, 05:08:59 PM
I wouldn't bother restoring it, I would buy a 534 in nice condition and use that instead.
Would that work with my phone? The phone is antisidetone and the 534 is sidetone.
I found a 634A antisidetone subset for sale that has the older style ringer and wood induction coil.

If it's a 634A or 634BA, then it should have either a 146B induction coil or a 101A; both of these coils have a third winding for anti-sidetone. Do you see "146B" stamped on the coil, or is it a 46B or 46?
Yes, the 634A that I found for sale has 146B stamped on one of the wood sides on the coil.
My 1920s music radio station: www.twkdradio.com

CandlestickCollector

I guess I will just use the 634 BA with the phone. Besides, buying another subset is just wasting money that I could be using to restore the phone itself.

Sargeguy

What do yo plan on having done to restore it?  If it works I would leave as is.  There are plenty of crappier phones out there that need restoring.  I have a basement full of them.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

I agree with sargeguy. Other than a 1940 number plate, I wouldn't change anything. It's not easy to find a phone complete with subset and just the way it was remanufactured in 1940. And the changes made in 1940 were done at the Western Electric repair shops, not by some hacker.

Kenton K

Yes, the phone is in more than decent condition. I would personally leave as is.

-Ken

CandlestickCollector

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 18, 2014, 06:26:47 PM
What do yo plan on having done to restore it?  If it works I would leave as is.  There are plenty of crappier phones out there that need restoring.  I have a basement full of them.
I was planning on putting a new coat of black lacquer on the phone because you can see where the paint has worn through to the brass. I also wanted to clean the contacts on the dial and oil it. I wanted to buy all new cloth cords, new receiver cord, new mounting cord, and new phone line cord because all the cords are a little frayed. When I buy antiques, I like to restore them to like new condition while keeping them as original as possible. A worn out looking phone would not fit in with all the antique radios and phonographs I have restored and have placed around my house.

tallguy58

You' be nuts to monkey around with that phone. Paint never looks good. Never looks "thick" enough. As for the dial, if it's sluggish then send it to Steve Hilsz for a $6 overhaul.
Cheers........Bill

CandlestickCollector

Ok, I looked on the strain reliefs on the cord going from the subset to the phone and it says "II 36" which I guess means that the cord is from 1936. And, under the square filter can in the base of the phone, it says "II 37".

HarrySmith

Nice find! I agree, don't paint it! It will always look painted, remember, only original once If you find any unnotched number plates, let me know, I need one for my candlestick too.
WARNING:
Be careful, if you only have one old phone you are probably still safe. STOP NOW! If you contract Phonitis, which WILL happen if you stick around here, it will be too late. Soon you will want a manual candlestick to match or maybe a phone with a handset that is easier to use. Maybe a phone in a color to go with your bedroom, or all the colors of a certain model. Maybe an old porcelain phone sign to display with the candlesticks or some pld phone tools or an old phone book that is from the same year or a phone booth to hang the phone book on and a payphone to go in it! The list goes on & on. This is a progressive, incurable disease. Don't take my word for it, go check out the Collection photos here. Soon all your spare time, and money, will be spent looking for and fixing old phones.
Seriously, this is the absolute best forum on the web with the best guys ever. Welcome and enjoy!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

CandlestickCollector

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 20, 2014, 04:41:53 PM
Nice find! I agree, don't paint it! It will always look painted, remember, only original once If you find any unnotched number plates, let me know, I need one for my candlestick too.
WARNING:
Be careful, if you only have one old phone you are probably still safe. STOP NOW! If you contract Phonitis, which WILL happen if you stick around here, it will be too late. Soon you will want a manual candlestick to match or maybe a phone with a handset that is easier to use. Maybe a phone in a color to go with your bedroom, or all the colors of a certain model. Maybe an old porcelain phone sign to display with the candlesticks or some pld phone tools or an old phone book that is from the same year or a phone booth to hang the phone book on and a payphone to go in it! The list goes on & on. This is a progressive, incurable disease. Don't take my word for it, go check out the Collection photos here. Soon all your spare time, and money, will be spent looking for and fixing old phones.
Seriously, this is the absolute best forum on the web with the best guys ever. Welcome and enjoy!
I found reproduction, unnotched number plates on ebay for about $30 each. They look to be high quality reproductions. As for catching Phonitis, I already have a wooden wall phone and I plan on eventually buying a Western Electric 102 with an E-1 handset but I don't think I will catch Phonitis. Most of my spare money and time goes into buying and restoring antique radios so I guess I have Radioitis. ;D