News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question About 500 T

Started by rp2813, August 21, 2014, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I got my hands on a 9/51 500 T a few months back.  I knew from having read about this model that it lacks the separate equalizer for the 425A network and was best applied to installs that were a significant distance from the switching office, as the reception volume would be uncomfortably loud on short loops, similar to calls within a PBX system.

That's my understanding, anyway.  What I'd like to confirm is whether the volume issue applies to reception or sidetone, or both. 

I live on the very edge of my exchange, but as the crow flies I'm probably 1.5 miles or so from the office.  I've hooked up the 500 T at my desk, and reception volume is fine, but sidetone is on the louder side.  It's not obnoxious, but am just wondering if this is an issue related to the missing equalizer or something else.  IIRC, a post I read here some time ago advised that loud sidetone meant the network may be failing, but that was in reference to a 425B.  This makes me think the sidetone volume I'm experiencing is normal, since an equalizer isn't part of the 500 T equation.

Is that correct?  I really like this phone, and it has allowed me to stash away my 10/50 500 (with equalizer) and still retain the same look with an early type reverse-painted bezel.   I'm just curious about the sidetone.
Ralph

dsk

Pretty wild guessing, the sidetone problem could omitted by moving black to handset from B to C on the network.

dsk

rp2813

There is no option to move the black handset lead from B to C on the network, for a couple of reasons. 

1) There is no B or C terminal on the 425A network. 

2) On the 500 T, handset leads are connected to a terminal block.  From the respective red, white, and black connection points, leads are hardwired (soldered) to the typical terminals on the front end of the network closest to the dial.
Ralph