News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 315 H: connecting to a WE 317 AD

Started by Mockingbird812, December 15, 2014, 09:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mockingbird812

Here are some shots of my WE 315.  Pardon my ignorance, but I would like to set up an intercom with this phone and my WE 317 mentioned in an earlier post.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13249.msg139026#msg139026

I realize I will need to power my transmitters of each phone.  What voltage? Also, to connect the L1 and L2 posts between the phones.  What are the specifics of the connections? 

What wire should I use between the phones?  There will be a stretch outdoors between two eaves.  Any recommendations to protect this wire exposed to the elements?

When you crank one phone will it ring at the other phone?

Thanks for your input,
Sam
Sam

Phonesrfun

All you need is 2 wires between each phones L1 and L2.  Polarity is not an issue, so there are no special instructions for that.  You would have good luck with 2 size D batteries in series in each phone. 2x 1.5 volts = 3 volts.  You can get a 2-battery holder at Radio Shack for not much money.  2 D size batteries will last months, depending on use.  Battery polarity is also not an issue.

The phones are made to ring when cranking, yes.

As far as the outside wire goes, just about any guage wire will do.  There is no real current carried by the line, so a small guage wire will work well.  Your biggest problem will be to get some outside wire that won't deteriorate with age in the weather.

To test them out, you could run a short piece of wire between phones on your workbench or kitchen table and see how it all works out.  You probably do want to test it beforehand just to make sure the transmitters and receivers are still good and that nobody has modified the wiring.
-Bill G

Mockingbird812

Thanks Bill.  where did the batteries go for the original 315s.  Separate box? Any photos?
Sam

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

paul-f

Before you run your outside wires, I strongly recommend you research lightning protection and local building codes.  Safety first!

Search the forum for "lightning protection" for some previous discussions.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

unbeldi

Here is what the battery boxes of the 1920s looked liked.
[WECo Catalog No. 7 1929]

Mockingbird812

Thanks for tip and reference on lighting protection Paul.

Thanks for posting visuals Unbeldi.  Battery boxes are interesting.  I don't suppose those are still available?  Another thought; the one phone will be in an insulated, however as of now, non-heated garage.  I am thinking about a plug-in DC power supply to ensure voltage availability (Ohio winters).  Any recommendations?
Sam

TelePlay

Quote from: Mockingbird812 on December 16, 2014, 09:38:03 AM
Battery boxes are interesting.  I don't suppose those are still available?

Over the past few years, I've seen a few offered on eBay. Seems to be only one now and it doesn't have its lid. They are not cheap and they usually have rust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Western-Electric-Telephone-Battery-Box-No-Lid-VG-/331210630564

BIN $19.99 plus $9.20 shipping, or make an offer.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Mockingbird812 on December 16, 2014, 09:38:03 AM
Thanks for tip and reference on lighting protection Paul.

Thanks for posting visuals Unbeldi.  Battery boxes are interesting.  I don't suppose those are still available?  Another thought; the one phone will be in an insulated, however as of now, non-heated garage.  I am thinking about a plug-in DC power supply to ensure voltage availability (Ohio winters).  Any recommendations?

I don't quite understand.  If you use an actual set of batteries, say D size batteries for the phone, why, then would you need a plug-in DC supply to ensure voltage availability during Ohio winters?  I am assuming you are talking about power failures?  Batteries do ensure you will have power during a power failure.  However, if you are saying that you don't think a regular battery will hold out in sub-zero temperatures, that may be another issue.  I don't know what their temperature rating might be.

If that might be the case, a plug in would be handy.  Usually a cell phone charger that has a good filter to filter out AC hum is a good choice.  They are readily available at just about any thrift store like Goodwill for a Dollar or so.  They usually have bins full of them.  They are almost always 5 volts DC, which is perfect for this application.
-Bill G

Mockingbird812

Yes Bill that is what I am referring to......batteries inop or sub standard in cold Wx.  Cell phone charger sounds like a good choice - thanks!

Thanks Teleplay for the link to the batt box.
Sam

unbeldi

I cannot envision that a modern alkaline battery will just fail in conceivable winter weather unless it is already pretty old and run down, especially at the amount of current a transmitter requires (>20ma).

But indeed, a used cell phone charger may be obtained perhaps cheaper than a pack of D-size batteries.

Mockingbird812

I may be worrying unnecessarily.  Suppose I'll give the batteries a shot and have a little faith.
Sam

Phonesrfun

unbeldi brings up a good point.  A used cell phone charger will probably be cheaper than batteries and a couple battery holders, but either way a pretty small cost.
-Bill G

Mockingbird812

I like keeping the original look of these wonderful electromechanical wonders.  I purchased the batt box mentioned earlier.  I will fabricate a new top if I can't find one soon.  It looks like it has the holes to attach it to a wall.  This component for the 315 will be located in the house, so I will outfit it with batteries. 

Does anyone have photos that show a 315 or similar with all components in its natural environment (catalog, advertisement, or candid shot back in the day)?

Thank you. :)
Sam

unbeldi

Quote from: Mockingbird812 on December 17, 2014, 09:40:17 AM
I like keeping the original look of these wonderful electromechanical wonders.  I purchased the batt box mentioned earlier.  I will fabricate a new top if I can't find one soon. 

Well, that is terrific.
In that case you might also be interested in a set such as this single one from my collection.

This one has long given away its (operational) potential, but some people do make working replicas: http://www.radiolaguy.com/info/Vintage_Batteries.htm