News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Ringer with Cowbells (dome gong)

Started by wds, December 08, 2015, 05:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Got this from an Ebay BIN - marked 115 BA.  I found these bells in the 1910 catalog but it didn't have a name for this type of bell, so I'm not sure what to call it.  They have a nice ring to them and i really like the style - sort of a double gong.
Dave

Sargeguy

Nice.  I cannot recall what the technical name is, I do need one from Western Electric to make a set.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jack Ryan

Kellogg used part numbers for these rather than a descriptive name. The collector community made up for that omission in its usual politically incorrect way.

WE uses descriptive names but I haven't seen this gong listed in a WE catalogue - that I can remember.

A cowbell gong is rectangular and, well, looks like a cow bell.

Jack

Sargeguy

I dug this up in an old e-mail from Fred Haynes:

In a copy of a WE catalog #1 the gongs were
"#1105 Dome Gong, 2-1/2"."
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 09, 2015, 01:29:23 AM

Interesting. In the catalogues I looked in, one of which is called "No 1", the gong is question is not listed and the gong codes are 1 to 16.

Can you be any more specific about which catalogue? I don't think those catalogues are marked with the number.

Thanks
Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 08, 2015, 06:42:43 PM
Kellogg used part numbers for these rather than a descriptive name.
And so did Western Electric.
Whatever ''names'' there are, they are only descriptions, not product identifiers.

The collector community made up for that omission in its usual politically incorrect way.

WE uses descriptive names but I haven't seen this gong listed in a WE catalogue - that I can remember.

A cowbell gong is rectangular and, well, looks like a cow bell.

Jack
Whatever a cowbell is supposed to look, is somewhat or mostly subjective.  Personally, I think a cowbell looks like this:

wds

Dome Gong sounds like the correct name for these bells.
Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 09, 2015, 02:47:01 AM
Quote from: Sargeguy on December 09, 2015, 01:29:23 AM

Interesting. In the catalogues I looked in, one of which is called "No 1", the gong is question is not listed and the gong codes are 1 to 16.

Can you be any more specific about which catalogue? I don't think those catalogues are marked with the number.

Thanks
Jack

As far as I have been able to determine, there no such NO. 1 WECo catalog.  They didn't number any of the catalogs until 1916, when they for some reason decided that it was Catalog No. 3.  Of course that leaves the field open for speculation as to what *they* considered to be no. 1 and 2.  It is probably most reasonable to count telephone catalog number one as that which was published in 1882 and later reprinted to celebrate the 100th anniversary (1969).   That catalog didn't identify any gongs specifically.

poplar1

1908 WE catalog has several gongs with code numbers between 1 and 16.
1916 WE catalog #3 lists several between 3 and 30A, along with the older illustration that includes the no longer listed 1 gong.

Off topic, the #3 Catalog also includes the metal 334A subset with exposed gongs. The 295-type appears to be manufacture discontinued by 1916, other than for example the railroad dispatcher's version, for which there may not have been a 334-type equivalent.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on December 09, 2015, 07:55:51 AM
Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 08, 2015, 06:42:43 PM
Kellogg used part numbers for these rather than a descriptive name.
And so did Western Electric.
Whatever ''names'' there are, they are only descriptions, not product identifiers.

I meant that they both used part numbers but that only WE used a descriptive name.

Jack

Sargeguy

The Western Electric Catalog of Telephonic Apparatus and Supplies from 1908 lists a few gong types with names:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 09, 2015, 10:01:55 AM
The Western Electric Catalog of Telephonic Apparatus and Supplies from 1908 lists a few gong types with names:
With ''descriptions".

For product names, WECo typically used proper nouns.