"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A red 500 for Christmas .....

Started by LoveOldPhones, December 22, 2016, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Quote from: unbeldi on December 25, 2016, 12:38:12 PM
Well, nobody disputed that the SC handset uses a brighter red.  My exercise was merely to demonstrate that the difference in "color" is simply a matter of light intensity.

Of course a brighter and a darker tone of red are going to look different in the same light, unless the light is so intense that the camera or the human eye experiences saturation, at which point the reproduction becomes very similar or identical.  This can also be demonstrated digitally.

The whole argument was that you thought WECo produced multiple different colors of red, which they did not.  It is a matter of illumination.  If we photograph your set and mine in the same light they will look the same, give or take the effects of polishing and possibly some yellowing.

No you misunderstood my original question. I said basically, DID  W.E. Make other shades of RED, BECAUSE None that I have ever seen are the same shade RED as those posted by Unbeldi. A question, based on what I have seen. All the WE r4ed phones I've seen are a deeper red, almost A MAROON. The phone you posted looks closer to the SC Coca Cola Red. My observation is, and still is, that WE did not make a Coca Cola Red colored phone. Peking Red is the closest they have ever gotten.
If you disagree, PLEASE take a photo of your Coca Cola Red W.E. phone, next to a Coca Cola Soft drink can. I will state with 100% confidence, you will not be able to get a match. However an SC will match a Coca Cola Can.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 26, 2016, 12:41:10 PM
No you misunderstood my original question. I said basically, DID  W.E. Make other shades of RED, BECAUSE None that I have ever seen are the same shade RED as those posted by Unbeldi. A question, based on what I have seen. All the WE r4ed phones I've seen are a deeper red, almost A MAROON. The phone you posted looks closer to the SC Coca Cola Red. My observation is, and still is, that WE did not make a Coca Cola Red colored phone. Peking Red is the closest they have ever gotten.
If you disagree, PLEASE take a photo of your Coca Cola Red W.E. phone, next to a Coca Cola Soft drink can. I will state with 100% confidence, you will not be able to get a match. However an SC will match a Coca Cola Can.

D/P

WECo made only one type of red for the 500s, Princesses, TT, etc. that was designated -53 color.
The pictures of my red sets as shown look exactly like the sets actually did when photographed.
I explained that this is simply a function of lighting, I also showed that they look darker in low light situations.  I even showed you a direct comparison with two Pekin Red sets in the same exposure.

Dan/Panther

You still miss my point. If I put MY red WE phone next to a Coca Cola can, No matter What I do with lighting, The WE phone color will NOT MATCH THE Coca Cola Can. They will BOTH change corresponding to the light. The WE phone IS NOT Coca Cola Red, neither is the Peking Red 302.  HOWEVER the SC phone WILL MATCH the Coca Cola can. 
I don't know how else to explain what I mean.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Slal

I don't mean to interrupt you guys, and certainly quite a collection of red phones!

Got me to thinking though and (since I'm on holiday) decided to do own test.  Was amazed how very few things around the house really are "red" approaching the 255 mark.

Closest I could get was probe from bench tester.  Hopefully a sunny day will give better results.

Polishing though.  They just aren't going to show up that bright no matter what, because I don't have a buffer to get them that shiny?

thx

--Bruce

unbeldi

Quote from: Dan/Panther on December 26, 2016, 10:00:08 PM
You still miss my point. If I put MY red WE phone next to a Coca Cola can, No matter What I do with lighting, The WE phone color will NOT MATCH THE Coca Cola Can. They will BOTH change corresponding to the light. The WE phone IS NOT Coca Cola Red, neither is the Peking Red 302.  HOWEVER the SC phone WILL MATCH the Coca Cola can. 
I don't know how else to explain what I mean.
D/P

No that is not correct.  In general a lighter red will not look like it changed as much as the dark red of the 500 set. The relationship is not linear necessarily, partly also because the spectrum of outdoor light is different than in-door lighting. I think the Coca-cola red is actually slightly darker than a Pekin Red set—I am not quite sure, don't buy the stuff—but Pekin Red is not pure red, it has a tint of orange.   In my picture of 500 and 302 sets, one can still see a difference  between the 302 and 500 color, but in indirect in-door lighting the difference is much starker.  This picture has a little bit of shade actually, if you place both in direct sun light, they are even more similar.

unbeldi

Quote from: Slal on December 26, 2016, 10:07:58 PM
I don't mean to interrupt you guys, and certainly quite a collection of red phones!

Got me to thinking though and (since I'm on holiday) decided to do own test.  Was amazed how very few things around the house really are "red" approaching the 255 mark.

Closest I could get was probe from bench tester.  Hopefully a sunny day will give better results.

Polishing though.  They just aren't going to show up that bright no matter what, because I don't have a buffer to get them that shiny?

thx

--Bruce
Your are right, very few items actually have a "full-scale" red color.   Polishing gets you only so much improvement, the 500 red is inherently a darker color in indirect lighting.

LoveOldPhones

OK..... here is a pic of my red 59 Kellogg phone next to my favorite 58 light gray WE phone with the FATTEST of fat cords.

You can see the difference between the cords.  The red phone looks just like an early red WE but it does not have that nice FAT cord.  YET.... it feels
the SAME as the gray cord..... that kind of soft and silky to the touch feel.   I would love to put on a nice fat red cord but....  it wouldn't be what came with the phone originally.  I think this phone is all original.

anyway..... it was a thought.  I really love this phone.... it works great with the pulse to tone converter.... and
the red brightens things up for the holidays. lol

LoveOldPhones

Here is another picture of it by itself.  Its not an early 500 but its a good looking phone.
Hope the pic is OK.

unfortunately.... it does not have the red line cord... which I am going to buy..... the guy I got it from had bought it from an estate sale and
it had a modern grey  modular cord on it.

Thats OK.... those darker red line cords should be easy enough to find.

One thing I noticed....  the numbers on the dial of the red phone are a cream color as opposed to a bright white.....  it is the same on the other Kellogg phone I have thats turquoise.  Its a nice compliment to the color of the phone.... it looks very soft.

I am looking across the room at my mediterranean blue 500 and the numbers are starkly white.   I am wondering if they are also white on early
WE red phones as well.

anyway.....  Merry Christmas to all.... and to those of you who have been decorating with your red and green phones.
and thanks for posting all  your beautiful pictures as well.