News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What do I have?

Started by Momo, November 03, 2010, 02:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momo

Hello everybody. I found this phone at an auction for charity and I bought it. What do I have???

Doug Rose

Welcome to the Forum....It looks like a Western Electric 553 A Wall Phone.    Nice find, you can easily make this work. Receiver hangs opposite of how you have it, it is upside down.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum! Nice find! Yes, Western Electric 553 A. In picture #4 the stamp is clearly visible.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

Yep, that's a #2 dial.  Nice find Momo!
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Good eyes Kenny, looks like a #2 dial. Check the writing on the finger stop. Should be 2AA or2AH etc....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That one is a beauty, probably worth around $200.  With a bit of cleaning and polishing, it should look great.  The transmitter may need a bit of adjusting.

Larry

Momo

Thanks for letting me know the receiver was upside down. I'm new to the old phones.
It says 2AA on the side of the dial. There is a star in the middle of the microphone.

LarryInMichigan

The original WE spit cups have a star in the middle.  Yours looks like it is in excellent condition.  They tend to break easily and are not cheap to replace.  Unscrew it carefully before cleaning.

Larry

Momo

It is my understanding that I need a straight line ringer to make the phone ring. Where can I find one and how much do they cost?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 03, 2010, 04:24:21 PM
The original WE spit cups have a star in the middle.  Yours looks like it is in excellent condition.  They tend to break easily and are not cheap to replace.  Unscrew it carefully before cleaning.

Larry

There are also repro WE mouthpieces with the star in the middle.
most of the repro mouthpieces are pretty easy to tell that they are repro (if you look close and handle them).

There were some really nice repro mouthpieces from the 1970's, These are not easy to identify, they look right but don't quite feel right. I don't think I have ever seen the 1970's "quality " repro with the star.

Thought I would mention it,
Jim

99 % of the phones that had transmitter horns used 1 of 4 thread patterns.
WE,KE,SC and AE . I have a cross referance list I compiled 15+ years ago, I used every cross referance list I could find and compiled them into a master list. Next time it turns up I will post it to a technical page.

Paul Vaverchak used to sell WE,KE,SC replacement horns. He probably still stocks them.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Momo on November 03, 2010, 04:27:09 PM
It is my understanding that I need a straight line ringer to make the phone ring. Where can I find one and how much do they cost?
This ringer should work, mine does. The phone should work if all the other parts are operational. Connect a line cord to the green to L1 and Red to L2 on the wood blocks. You have a loose wire coming off the ringer, connect to the "R" on the wood block. This should now work. If it does not work try connecting the loose wire to the Ground. Nice find!....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Like mine, except I have a bulldog transmitter.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

dsk

Quote from: Kidphone on November 04, 2010, 09:41:34 AM
Quote from: Momo on November 03, 2010, 04:27:09 PM
This ringer should work, mine does. The phone should work if all the other parts are operational. Connect a line cord to the green to L1 and Red to L2 on the wood blocks. You have a loose wire coming off the ringer, connect to the "R" on the wood block. This should now work. If it does not work try connecting the loose wire to the Ground. Nice find!....Doug
It looks like a capacitor is missing. My guess is anything between  0.5 and 1 microfarad rated at 150V or more just do the job. This telephone may have a high REN no, but I'm not sure how important that is in real life. :D

dsk