News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg F135 Desk Phone

Started by wds, July 03, 2014, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Finally snagged one of these Kellogg desk phones complete with the Kellogg dial.  The dial makes a nice clicking sound on the wind, and a whirring noise on the return.  These don't come up very often, especially in this condition.  Anyone know how to get the center nut off of the fingerwheel?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Wow, what a catch!  It looks like it has a celluloid dial plate in excellent condition, and the dial even has a date on it.  The finger wheel looks like it has an Ericsson style screw in the center (not surprisingly since Kellogg's Grab-A-Phone started as an Ericsson product).  You need to sick some tool into the two holes to grab and turn the screw.

For what it's worth, in the Sherlock Holmes films made in the 1940s, one of these sits on Holmes' desk.

Larry

Doug Rose

Dave ....I was watching this auction, but the one picture made me nervous and it got out of my price range. The dial is superb as Larry said the celluloid plate is wonderful. Looks like it came from a museum.  Great phone!....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/luawnty
Kidphone

wds

I had it for a really good price until a last second snipe which cost me $100.  Still happy though.  Where ever it was for the last 90 years, it was obviously well taken care of.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave....I have always seen North Dials on these beauties. I have never see the Kellogg dial. The nickel accents are just superb. I thought I had reclaimed a beauty from the scrap pile a few years ago, but yours is the best I have ever seen. Someone took great care of it. Well worth the money.

These are just cool phones, I have a manual Kellogg, Federal and Ericsson. At first look they all appear the same but side by side are all very different. The Kellogg dial phone are much tougher too find. Stunning phone!

On Ericsson phones, I have used a thick paper clip and cut off the excess and used the two prongs of the clip. It made a decent tool for removal....Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2623.msg35931#msg35931

Kidphone

paul-f

Dave,

A snap ring removal tool has pins that fit the dial nicely.

Note the difference in base shapes in the photos above.  Doug's examples have the centered shaft and styled edges, while the others have an offset shaft and sloped front.

This one also demonstrates that painting phones has been going on for many years.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

wds

I tried the pin tool, but it wouldn't budge, so I thought there might be a trick to it and I didn't want to damage it.  I guess I'll put a little more muscle on the pin tool.  There is a nice page on the Kellogg dial in the 1923 Cat. 6, page 198.  I don't have the good adobe on my home computer or I would cut the page out and post it.  Maybe someone else can do that?  I like your style phone also Doug.  I have the one without the dial but I still plan to grab one like yours with the dial.
Dave

wds

I did the next best thing - printed it then scanned it.  Not the best resolution but readable.
Dave

rdelius

That handset looks more like a Federal/Ericssion than a Kellogg.Those dials are hard to find

poplar1

The date stamped on the dial appears to be 1926. What is the year of the catalog?

I have a phone like Doug's, also with a North dial. The inspection sticker on the base plate has a 1927 date.

Kellogg stopped making their own dials at some point until the 1000 model ("red bar") c. 1947.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Catalog is dated 1923.  Not sure when those dials came out. 
Dave