News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair / Re: 3554 ISSUE
Last post by MMikeJBenN27 - April 17, 2024, 03:49:14 PM
I would swap in an older style "potted" network and have him try it out, and see that fixes the problem.

Mike
General Discussion / Re: AT&T slimline 210
Last post by Stormcrash - April 17, 2024, 03:13:07 PM
Based on the buttons and other details this is a late 90s to early 2000s trimline. It's after the switch to hard plastic bigger buttons from the soft plastic rectangle ones, but before the ringer was moved into the handset and the screw holding the handset together replaced by all clips.

Quote from: neondave on March 21, 2024, 12:08:42 PMInteresting , still some landline users out there :D a few slight diff between 210 / 210M . Wonder where they are made now

The M in the currently made 210M stands for memory. There used to be 3 Trimline models in the 90s/2000s, the basic 210 with no memory, the 220 with 3 one touch redial buttons, and the 230 with the one touch buttons and 9 or ten number memory redial on the keypad. At some point the old 210 and 220 models were dropped and the 230 was renumbered as the 210M

As far as I know they are all made in China nowadays.
Last post by HarrySmith - April 17, 2024, 03:01:56 PM
I connected the ringer to the same terminals I removed the original from. I did not even look at the terminals. I just checked and it is on L1 & L2.
The line is connected red & black to L1 & E2 and 2 white wires to GN & R, what are they for?
Network A has a gray wire from the hookswitch and K is empty? Should I move the ringer to A & K?
I never even looked at the wiring since it worked on my Panasonic.
It appears this is a different animal than I am used to working on. I count 7 wires off the hookswitch.
Last post by HarrySmith - April 17, 2024, 02:34:19 PM
I replaced the ball bearing chucker type ringer with a regular C4 type but I do not recall how many wires were on the original.
Once I locate the cap I can measure to see if it is an issue, correct?

I just remembered I had the phone in my car getting ready to return it to him. I opened it up, The ringer is a 4 wire ringer but only red & green are connected. The other 2 wires, gray & brown are connected together in a clip thing.
Many (if not all) ATAs that allow you to use analog phones on VOIP have a very low tolerance for dials out of spec -- whether the speed (10 PPS [pulses per second]), or the make/break ratio of pulsing contacts, or both -- I'm not certain which. The original telephone central office equipment is much more tolerant.

You should not have to rewire the subsets or phones if they were already ringing before -- that is, with only the 2 line wires (red and green) from the dial tone source to the subset.

Also, did you disconnect the modular plug inside the  phone company interface (on the side of the house or wherever the copper line from the phone company attaches to the house)? Otherwise, even if the original phone line is disconnected, you might still have battery from the central office, since they can just disconnect the line by programming, but there still might be battery on the cable pair ( connection to the central office equipment).

What phone company suddenly stopped recognizing dial pulses -- if, in fact, that is what happened? The default programming used to be dial pulse only, since they could charge extra for Touch-Tone.

If you can try going off-hook on the phone company line (assuming you have not already had it disconnected), then just push down the plunger (that hangs up the phone) one time, for about 1/2 second, and release the plunger to see if the dial tone has gone away. This is equivalent of dialing a 1. If the dial tone disappears, then the central office equipment assumes you have dialed "1." -- i.e., it recognizes rotary dial pulses....You can make the same test with your new "line."

A Panasonic KX-T61610 key system will support up to 16 phones, each with its own 2-digit number. You can even connect 2 phones to each voice port, assuming they have higher impedance ringers (634BA Western Electric subset, for example). So up to 32 phones ringing for an incoming call. This system will also convert dial pulses to Touch-Tone for outgoing calls.

Last post by poplar1 - April 17, 2024, 02:06:26 PM
Did you by any chance replace a 2-wire ringer with a 4-wire?
Last post by HarrySmith - April 17, 2024, 01:43:28 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. I am not familiar with these "new" networks. I guess I can trace the connections for A & K to find it but, can anyone identify it easily?
Last post by TelePlay - April 17, 2024, 01:17:55 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on April 17, 2024, 11:45:14 AMMaybe I can just add a ring cap to it?

If the cap is bad, you will want to remove and replace that original capacitor with a new one of equal value.

Probably just open the base and get some pictures of the wiring.
Last post by HarrySmith - April 17, 2024, 11:45:14 AM
OK. I had not thought of that. It is a "newer" style network in this thing so I guess it could be a cheaper cap that has gone bad. Maybe I can just add a ring cap to it?