News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best AE Payphone model for home use.

Started by jjacob, September 18, 2013, 11:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacob

Looking for a recommendation on the best AE model to use at home. I have copied below the information provided on another post about AE model identification.

I would like to have a phone in my phone booth that requires coins to dial out. Booth was made in 1951. Would be nice to have a circa 1951 phone, but not critical. Just needs to be rotary dial.

I did some research and it seems that the semi-post pay or post pay models are more troublesome to use on a home line because of the transmitter connection not being made until money is deposited once the other party answers the call. They might hang up before you finish putting coins in.

So this means a pre-pay or local pre-pay phone???

Question 1: what is the difference between a pre-pay phone and a local pre-pay phone?

Question 2: what would be a Western or Northern Electric model that would also be pre-pay?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I get the right phone. Also looking to learn more.
Thanks, John

LPA Series = Manually Compensated (series rheostat). LPB Series = Self Compensating (varistor). LPC Series = P.C. Board Network.

PREPAY - LPA 82 & 92, LPB 82, LPC 72 & 82, 92N uses Western Electric F1A
handset, 101 induction coil and dial, 92W uses Western Electric F1A handset,  101 ind. coil and AECo dial.

LOCAL PREPAY - LPA 89 & 99, LPB 89, LPC 79 & 89.

SEMI-POSTPAY - LPA 86 & 96, LPB 86, LPC 76 & 86, 60 series with type 40 monophone components.

POSTPAY - LPA 88 & 94 & 99, LPB 84 & 88.

rdelius

I prefer an LPB or LPC 82  set myself.Newer than your booth but looks almost the same.A WE set uasually had to be wired to a subset but AE sets just need an external ringer so things are easier to wire

poplar1

1. Both  prepay and local prepay required a deposit (usually 10 cents) before you could dial out.

With the local prepay set, the coin was collected as soon as the party answered. On busy or no answer, -110VDC was applied to the line to return the coin.

For prepay sets, much more complex central office equipment was required. The coin deposit was either collected or refunded at the end of the call.

2. Examples of WE prepay sets are 181G, 191G with F-type handsets and 223G and 233G with the later G-type handsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Both local prepay and semi-postpay require "reverse battery supervision." That is, when the party answers, the polarity of the line is reversed. Originally, all central office lines reversed battery on answer, but that is no longer the case.

AE uses "postpay" for manual sets and "semi-postpay" for dial sets. (WE uses "postpay" for both manual and dial.) With AE semi-postpay and WE/NE postpay sets, you could dial out without depositing coins; when the party answered, you had to deposit coins in order to talk. There was no way to refund coins since they went directly into the vault.

If you purchase a semi-postpay (or WE dial postpay), the transmitter won't be cut off on answer since the line polarity doesn't change. (Some of the modified AE sets with Teltronics boards may operate differently.) So you can use an AE LPB 86-55 or WE 193G on a regular phone line without modification, but you won't have to use coins.

If you go with a prepay, you will need to purchase or build a coin line simulator if you want to require coins. Without this, you can still use the phone for making and receiving calls.

WE 18x and 19x series pay phones and all the AE pay phones have the network inside. Western Electric 200- series pay phones (other than the 236G and 1236G) require a subset for the speech network.

Caution: many of the phones on Ebay have the coin relay and/or locks removed.

G-Man

If you want to be able to deposit a coin to obtain dial-tone, you will need to purchase a controller from Stan.

Quote from: jjacob on September 18, 2013, 11:22:55 AM
Looking for a recommendation on the best AE model to use at home. I have copied below the information provided on another post about AE model identification.

I would like to have a phone in my phone booth that requires coins to dial out. Booth was made in 1951. Would be nice to have a circa 1951 phone, but not critical. Just needs to be rotary dial.

I did some research and it seems that the semi-post pay or post pay models are more troublesome to use on a home line because of the transmitter connection not being made until money is deposited once the other party answers the call. They might hang up before you finish putting coins in.

So this means a pre-pay or local pre-pay phone???

Question 1: what is the difference between a pre-pay phone and a local pre-pay phone?

Question 2: what would be a Western or Northern Electric model that would also be pre-pay?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I get the right phone. Also looking to learn more.
Thanks, John

LPA Series = Manually Compensated (series rheostat). LPB Series = Self Compensating (varistor). LPC Series = P.C. Board Network.

PREPAY - LPA 82 & 92, LPB 82, LPC 72 & 82, 92N uses Western Electric F1A
handset, 101 induction coil and dial, 92W uses Western Electric F1A handset,  101 ind. coil and AECo dial.

LOCAL PREPAY - LPA 89 & 99, LPB 89, LPC 79 & 89.

SEMI-POSTPAY - LPA 86 & 96, LPB 86, LPC 76 & 86, 60 series with type 40 monophone components.

POSTPAY - LPA 88 & 94 & 99, LPB 84 & 88.

Haf

Here's a video how an Automatic Electric LPC 82-55 prepay payphone works with Stan's controller. Watch it full screen for comments.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

jjacob

WOW! Great information. Thanks to all.

I am leaning towards an AE phone because I will only need to add a ringer.

Looks like an AE LPB or LPC 82-55 or 89-55 would be best if I want to add a coin controller.
If I decide not to use coins then an LPB or LPC 86-55 would be fine. I am pretty sure I want to have the coin operation to make a call.

Haf: I did not see any links on your post.

Is Stan still selling his coin controller? I looked at his eBay store and there is nothing. Anyone know the link?

Thanks again for all the replies. I am quickly learning!

John

poplar1

The controllers are designed for prepay sets such as the LPB 82-55.

The 89 series (LOCAL prepay) requires a L-1506 subset that is very hard to find. Even if you are lucky enough to find the correct subset, it may not work with currently available controllers.

poplar1

This is the kind of pay phone frequently seen on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380721981887

The coin relay has been removed. Even though there was already a factory-installed induction coil and transfer contacts from the upper to lower housings, the wannabe lampmaker removed the AE induction coil and substituted a WE 101A from a 302. He also bypassed the transfer contacts and installed an orange plastic connector. The AE dial was changed to a Northern Electric. The locks were removed.

I guess I understand now how some feel when they see a WE 174G. However, this was done by a chop shop--probably "Long Island Telephone Company" AKA "Eastern Electric

Pictures added:

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

jjacob

Well I can see that if I can get inside pics of any phone I am considering I will post them for you guys to look at to make sure everything is there. Great to have you all as a resource.
Thanks,
John