News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need phone guru eyes to look over this phone for me that I am considering.

Started by jjacob, September 21, 2013, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacob

Here is a phone I am considering to buy. It is on craigslist about 4 hours from my home. Seller has owned and used for the last 25 years (since around 1985) in their game room. Phone works and has a ringer. Phone appears to be in nice shape.

It appears to be an LPB that has been modified by GTE to LPC configuration to be a residential phone?

I can see for myself that the entire coin relay is gone. Upper housing looks completely original. Anything else missing or not right?

Questions:
1. Was the Teltronics network an original part of the LPC?
2. Will the Teltronics network work with a coin controller?
3. How much would it cost to get this phone back to where I can use coins using a coin controller? I would do the work myself so we are talking about cost of parts.
4. The seller is asking $200. What is a reasonable offer considering the coin relay is gone?

My purpose for the phone is to be installed in my 1951 phone booth and to work as an everyday phone. I want to be able to use coins to make calls. I understand I will have to buy or build a coin controller.

Is this phone going to do it for me if I replace the coin relay?

Thanking you all in advance.

John

Haf

Look at this:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9719.0
I converted an LPC 86-55 into an LPC 82-55 and there are pics how both look in out of service condition.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

G-Man

It will work as a standard extension telephone but if you want it to emulate a traditional coin telephone then the answer is no.

You need a payphone with a coin relay since it is the mechanism that performs the collect and refund functions as determined by the external controller.

While these payphones were not originally equipped with Teltronics boards, GTE and others later installed them during refurbishment. They are shown in the GTE coin practices.

jjacob

G-man,

I know this phone will not collect coins without the relay. If I installed a coin relay would a coin controller device work with the Teltronics board?
John

jjacob

Haf,

It looks like you completely replaced the coin relay. What did you pay for the parts and who did you get them from?
John

RotarDad

John,

You may know this already, but you will need some extra pieces for your hopper where the relay mounts.  They are a couple of plastic parts which allow the relay to hold and then release the coins.  There is also a wire "keeper" which holds the hopper parts in place.  Yours appears to be present but was mangled to hold the coin vane in the return position.
Paul

jjacob

RotarDad,

Who would be the best source of getting a complete coin relay or coin relay/chute assembly. Trying to see what the cost would be to put this phone back correctly. I am not too concerned about the network unless the teltronics board will not work with a coin controller.
Any advice?
John

G-Man

Automatic Electric payphones using Teltronics boards were fully operable.

However, in your case you need to make sure you do not purchase a semi-postpay coin relay which looks similar to the prepay types.

Also, I believe you should be able to find a complete payphone for $200 or less on eBay or elsewhere which would save you the hassle of trying to find all of the parts and any associated wiring difficulties.

In any event, before you invest money in parts for this telephone you should contact Stan Schreier directly as to what models are compatible with his controllers.

G-Man

Opps...

Stan's instructions are now attached.

Quote from: G-Man on September 21, 2013, 06:58:06 PM

However, in your case you need to make sure you do not purchase a semi-postpay coin relay which looks similar to the prepay types.

Also, I believe you should be able to find a complete payphone for $200 or less on eBay or elsewhere which would save you the hassle of trying to find all of the parts and any associated wiring difficulties.

In any event, before you invest money in parts for this telephone you should contact Stan Schreier directly as to what models are compatible with his controllers.

rdelius

That board should work,make sure that mone of the solder pads are broken. You can get AE LPC wireing harnesses and the other parts from Paul Vaverchak if you wanted Orifional parts. Nothing wrong with that circuit board. This is better than somebodys wireing kludge

jjacob

Quote from: G-Man on September 21, 2013, 06:58:06 PM

Thanks for reply G-man,

I have been looking on ebay for the last couple of weeks. Either the phones are semi-post pay, they are missing lots of parts, the sellers have no way of opening up the phone to see what is inside, or the sellers have not responded to requests for pictures of the inside. This is for phones under $250. Very frustrating.

This phone looked good because the seller is very willing to take pictures and not hide anything. It looks to be complete with the exception of the coin relay. What do you think it is worth?
John

G-Man

Quote from: rdelius on September 21, 2013, 07:11:56 PM
That board should work,make sure that mone of the solder pads are broken. You can get AE LPC wireing harnesses and the other parts from Paul Vaverchak if you wanted Orifional parts. Nothing wrong with that circuit board. This is better than somebodys wireing kludge

He could invest money in what is most likely a $75 - $100 payphone but I wonder if that is a good idea since if he watches eBay he could probably pickup one that is complete for much less than what he will end up sinking into this one.

If I would have known sooner I would have offered him the Automatic Electric payphone that I ended up selling for slightly less than $150 on eBay. It was complete and looked good cosmetically

jjacob

Thanks rdelius and G-man,
On Dave's islandregister.com website he shows a phone number for Paul. Is that the only way to contact or does he have an email or web site?
What do you think this phone is worth the way it sits now. Seller is asking $200. I am thinking it is going to need around $100 in parts?
Thanks for your help.
John

RotarDad

I've seen relays and complete hopper/relay assemblies on Ebay, but they don't show up frequently.  I'm sure someone on the forum has the parts also, but I agree with G-man that a complete phone is the way to go if you can.
Paul

jjacob

Here's one that was just posted on ebay. Western Electric. I have requested pics of the inside.
Is the metal box screwed to the backing board a network?  It says "IV-69" on the top. I can see an external ringer mounted below the phone also.
I understand that these Western Electrics all need networks and ringers (except the 236G)
John