News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need phone guru eyes to look over this phone for me that I am considering.

Started by jjacob, September 21, 2013, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-Man

Upside-down Bell Chime and possibly a Wheelock or equivalent ringing relay.

jjacob

Educate me. What is a Wheelock relay used for? I thought the external ringers were stand alone units that were plugged in between the phone and wall jack.
John

poplar1

The relay connects commercial power (120 Volts AC, 60~) to an external signal, such as a 120 Vac loud horn in a warehouse. The relay is activated  by ringing current (90 Volts AC, 20~)--I can't remember  whether the other terminals on the relay are for different input or different output.

The F1A ringer shown (Bell Chime) operates directly from ring current. It's installed on the telephone line as an extension ringer in a residence or office. Sometimes it's used with a 701B Princess in lieu of an E1 baseboard ringer. I've never seen one next to a Pay Phone, but in any case, it definitely shouldn't be connected to 120 VAC 60~.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotarDad

This beige one would also be in need of expensive parts even if the inside is 100% complete. You will need a vault door and both upper and lower locks.  The lower lock is maybe $15-$25 on Ebay (a WE 30C) but a nice vault door is often $60-80 or more and the upper lock (10G or 10H) often run $30-40 or so but you don't see them as often as the doors and lower locks.   Paying a bit more up front for completeness will save you lots of time and probably money.  I should have done that when I bought mine..... ;)
Paul

G-Man

Buying a coin relay and other parts for the AECo payphone would also not be cheap.

As with most things eBay, patience is on the side of the buyer. Eventually a real bargain will show up especially if you carefully shift through the descriptions and photos long enough.

I think that some of the eBay prices you quoted are on the high side, but perhaps not. Some sellers are also listing 29S or 10G/H locks that have been modified to operate without a key for much less. I believe that Jody Haralson is one of them.

Since you still have to modify an original payphone for use with the controller and it appears that only cosmetics and functionality are his primary concerns, he can buy an upper-housing locking device and a snap-in door for about $7.00 each from either eBay or Phoneco.

Quote from: RotarDad on September 22, 2013, 01:22:11 AM
This beige one would also be in need of expensive parts even if the inside is 100% complete. You will need a vault door and both upper and lower locks.  The lower lock is maybe $15-$25 on Ebay (a WE 30C) but a nice vault door is often $60-80 or more and the upper lock (10G or 10H) often run $30-40 or so but you don't see them as often as the doors and lower locks.   Paying a bit more up front for completeness will save you lots of time and probably money.  I should have done that when I bought mine..... ;)

RotarDad

Single coil relay on Ebay now.  Seller apparently has several to sell.  Item # 121181398234.  I think $50 is high on the price. This seller says he'll include the screws and the plastic cover.  You'd still need the hopper parts to complete that black AE phone previously discussed.

G-Man is right that you certainly can find lower prices with patience, or substitute non-original parts for the locks and door.
Paul

jjacob

Thanks to all for your wisdom and suggestions. Still looking. I did see the relays on ebay.
Found a Northern Electric 233, but I think the coin mechanism is set up for Canadian coins. I have posted some questions on the Northern Electric Forum. Your comments are appreciated.
John

HarrySmith

I also saw a couple of NOS WE coin chute assemblies on eBay this morning.
Both were still in the original box. I do not know if they work on an AE or not.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

the WE-NE stanless steel chutes will not fit an AE housing.The lead AE chutes should be out there.