News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help wiring touch tone pad into AE payphone

Started by jjacob, November 05, 2013, 07:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjacob

I would like to build the touch tone pad that Stan has posted. I have the touch tone pad and resistor. The only problem is all of his examples are Western Electric. I just do not know enough to know what wiring to change in my phone and where to wire the touch tone pad into.

Here is the link to Stan's instructions: http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html It seems to me that if you go down about 2/3 of the way down his instructions you will get to the anti-sidetone subset wiring for Western Electric.

I have attached a picture of the wiring diagram for my phone. I am using an external ringer also. Network is built into phone, only the ringer is external.

Can someone help me out here? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks, John

G-Man

Quote from: jjacob on November 05, 2013, 07:07:53 PM
I would like to build the touch tone pad that Stan has posted. I have the touch tone pad and resistor. The only problem is all of his examples are Western Electric. I just do not know enough to know what wiring to change in my phone and where to wire the touch tone pad into.

Here is the link to Stan's instructions: http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html It seems to me that if you go down about 2/3 of the way down his instructions you will get to the anti-sidetone subset wiring for Western Electric.

I have attached a picture of the wiring diagram for my phone. I am using an external ringer also. Network is built into phone, only the ringer is external.

Can someone help me out here? It would be much appreciated.
Thanks, John

You may want to download the GSP for an A.E. DTMF Paystation from the TCI Library for guidance. Also, when posting wiring diagrams, etc. it's always nice to acknowledge your source to give credit to those who took the time to scan them.

Good Luck!

HarrySmith

I assume since you are referencing Stan's instructions you are not installing the TT dial into the phone, you are putting the dial outside the phone. If that is the case I think you can make it work without changing the wiring of your phone. I have used a cheater method, with Stan's help, which has worked fine on 2 wooden wall phones I built. Follow Stan's instuctions for setting up the TT pad. then simply connect it into either side of the line cord. Take either the red or green wire from L1 or L2 and connect it to one terminal of the pad. Run a wire from the other terminal of the pad to the spot you just removed the line cord wire from.

As I stated this method worked fine in 2 phones I built, but they were older phones without a network. I have not tried it on a "newer" phone. I am not sure if it is "correct" or not but it worked. Maybe someone here more technical than I can instruct you how to follow Stan's wiring on your phone.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

stub

John,

Does your payphone work now? If it does then you can do as Harry mentioned. Here's how I did mine using Stan's instructions but not putting the TT pad into the payphone just in series with one side of the line in wire.  - reply #65 - #68

http://tinyurl.com/bjmoa6n  

stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jjacob

Stub and Harry,

Thank you so much! My phone is currently operational, installed in a phone booth, and works perfectly. I will try the wiring suggested by Stub in his link. I should be able to report back later this week with either success or more questions.

By the way I have four of these touch pads (the preferred ITT #42 pad) I won in an ebay auction. Got them very cheap. I am only using one, so if anyone wants to do this to their phone send me a pm. I can ship you one for my cost plus shipping. Kind of a way to give back on the excellent assistance I have received.

Thanks again.

John

jjacob

Hi G-Man,

I looked at those but felt that a stand alone touch pad next to the phone was actually easier to use. You don't have to put anything up to the receiver, which I thought could be a bit clumsy. But they are definately an option, expecially if you have more than one phone that would need a device like this. I have only the payphone.

I actually only paid like $13 for four of the touch pads (including the shipping) off of ebay. I will build my own small wood box which will look nicer in the phone booth than a modern plastic housing. The other touch pads I will most likely sell.

John

rdelius

There  have been on ebay before AE touchpads with a stainless steel enclosure that were made to convert rotary AE single slot paystations to tone,Best for LPC series sets to Rewire.Vaverchak might have them.

jjacob

Success!

As instructed by those on this board, I wired the touch pad in series on the ring (L1) side between the ringer and the phone. Works great.
Thanks to all.

John