News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recommended Books?

Started by Tonyrotary, March 26, 2009, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

To learn more about these older telephones such as the history and such, what books are out there? I have seen a couple but figured better come here for some recommendations. Thanks.

Dennis Markham

The two books that I hear talked about often are as follows:

Telephone Collecting - Seven Decades of Design/With Price Guide by Kate Dooner
The Amazon link is:
http://tinyurl.com/d84yuu

Another which I have is Old-Time Telephones! Design, History & Restoration by Ralph O. Meyer.  This is a "Second Edition"
Amazon Link:  http://tinyurl.com/dcx5j5

Ralph Meyer's 1st Edition book is more difficult to find but it looks like Amazon has it for $49.
http://tinyurl.com/d6247m

There are other places that have them.  Oldphoneworks wants $25 for the same second edition book that Amazon has for under $20.

Tonyrotary

My wife bought and sent me this book, Telephone Collecting - Seven Decades of Design/With Price Guide by Kate Dooner. Thanks Dennis for the recommendation. I was scrolling through the book and of course now I found many more phones I will have to add to my growing collection.

On the candlestick pages I saw some of the attachments that usually were installed for the customer such as a clip-on paper pad and pencil, and a glass mouth piece. I thought the mouthpiece was cool. Was that a standard attachment on most candlesticks?

HobieSport

Quote from: Tonyrotary
I was scrolling through the book and of course now I found many more phones I will have to add to my growing collection.

Uh oh, Tony.  Sounds like your phone bug may be entering the stage two category.  And remember, no antidote nor inoculation for this dreaded viral pathogen has ever been discovered by modern man.

Enjoy your reading! :)

-Matt

Dennis Markham

Thanks Matt for the good laugh.  You're absolutely right.  He's hooked now.  As Bart Simpson would say...Stupid Phones.

Tonyrotary

Yeah funny guys :D

Your both right though I am hooked. Though all of my phones are "newer types", when I get home I plan on getting into the older phones, such as the 302's AE40's and such. I even want a genuine candlestick. With a dial and subset of course. Like Dennis said "Stupid Phones" ;D Hobie, to tell you the truth don't want the cure! Phone collecting is fun! Oh just bought this one on Ebay. The wife actually told me to get it once I showed her the picture. Picked it up for $28 plus shipping. Not a great deal but not bad either. Roughly 90 days left to I get home!

bingster

Quote from: Tonyrotary on May 07, 2009, 10:42:47 AM
On the candlestick pages I saw some of the attachments that usually were installed for the customer such as a clip-on paper pad and pencil, and a glass mouth piece. I thought the mouthpiece was cool. Was that a standard attachment on most candlesticks?

Noooooo...  The Bell System hated those attachments with a blind passion.  Of course, that didn't stop people from buying and using them.
= DARRIN =

AET

The only thing that's ever slowed the row of my passion for phones was lack of funds.  That'll put a little damper on collecting. 

Also why did they hate the glass mouthpieces?
Quote from: HobieSport on May 07, 2009, 12:34:19 PM
Quote from: Tonyrotary
I was scrolling through the book and of course now I found many more phones I will have to add to my growing collection.

Uh oh, Tony.  Sounds like your phone bug may be entering the stage two category.  And remember, no antidote nor inoculation for this dreaded viral pathogen has ever been discovered by modern man.

Enjoy your reading! :)

-Matt
- Tom