News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My First Payphone - AE120B

Started by TonSpa, July 04, 2014, 01:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

The lower locks to the coin vault are all keyed differently and it would be close to impossible to find a key even if you knew the key code. Occasionally the key code for the bottom housing lock is written in the upper housing if you could get it open. The upper housing locks were typically keyed the same within each phone company so possibly easier to find but realistically ....not.

You need to drill the upper lock out and then just use the T-key to open and close it. You can try to get a new upper lock with a key or just put in a new upper lock to fill the hole and disable it so just the T-key is used.

It is easier to get a replacement lower lock with a key to replace that one after it is drilled out. I have spares with key. Quite a bit of discussion about drilling locks out on the forum.

Terry

TonSpa

Just a update:

wow...that lock is harder to open then I thought....I am still fighting with the top lock on that phone.....don't want to break it so I will let it sit for a while....

I have done some searches on here for lock opening and got some good info. so I have not gave up yet....But....I am not sure if I will look for a payphone with no keys again  :-\
Anthony

TonSpa

UPDATE: I used my drill press today and after a few hours I got into the top part!!! YAY!!!
OH! and no damage! (other then a broken lock)

Now when I am up to it....the money box.
Anthony

dsk

Great. Looks like mine. Should be possible to get in working order.
dsk

TonSpa

ok. I got into the money box.....just a bunch of washers were in it.....strange.. ???

Anyway now my new fear is with all the metal shavings from the locks there will be a short someplace in it....so I been using the air compressor on it.

I did see were the coin relay plunged in someone unplugged it....don't know if they thought if they did that it will not charge for a call?
I was going to see if I could restore it....repaint it...but I kind of like the marks on it.....age....looks good.
Anthony

Babybearjs

man, so that's what a coin phone looks like inside... almost a full computer in there....this one must be pretty recent....
John

DavePEI

Quote from: TonSpa on July 15, 2014, 07:25:12 PM
Anyway now my new fear is with all the metal shavings from the locks there will be a short someplace in it....so I been using the air compressor on it.
Yes, it is very important to do that. Rather than using the compressor first, I would start out with a vacuum and crevice tool to remove the bulk of it, otherwise the compressor might blow metal dust INTO critical areas. I usually remove as many of the boards as I can for cleaning, and get behind them - that is where a lot of the dust can settle only to become dislodged later.

This stage can add a day to your timeline, but is very important.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TonSpa

Quote from: DavePEI on July 16, 2014, 07:40:29 AM
Quote from: TonSpa on July 15, 2014, 07:25:12 PM
Yes, it is very important to do that. Rather than using the compressor first, I would start out with a vacuum and crevice tool to remove the bulk of it, otherwise the compressor might blow metal dust INTO critical areas. I usually remove as many of the boards as I can for cleaning, and get behind them - that is where a lot of the dust can settle only to become dislodged later.

This stage can add a day to your timeline, but is very important.

Dave

Well....I used the air compressor on it all ready....so if its dead now you all will hear my screams world wide.......anyway like you said I am going to take it all apart......how do I go by doing that?
I see a BIG screw at the bottom of the main board but it seems like there is something still holding it behind the bells.
Thanks for the help....
Anthony

AE_Collector

Loosen off the big captive screw (a nut really) and then lift the chassis up 1/2" towards the top of the phone to release it from the housing. Everything will come out of the housing. The hopper over the hole through to the coin box might have a screw into it from the coin vault area.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on July 16, 2014, 07:55:05 PM
Loosen off the big captive screw (a nut really) and then lift the chassis up 1/2" towards the top of the phone to release it from the housing. Everything will come out of the housing. The hopper over the hole through to the coin box might have a screw into it from the coin vault area.

Terry
Then lightly vacuum the lans and traces of the board and behind the board to remove all the little bits which might be remaining. Then lightly vacuum the top of the board with a crevice tool, not touching the components, as the static charge from the vacuum could conceivably burn out an IC (not likely when it is in its socket, but for a precaution), then replace the board. Before you repplace the board, a good precaution would be to push down gently on each socketed chip to ensure that it is fuully seated.

Just do your best. It is worth spending a day housecleaning to preserve the phone, anyway...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

When you hook up the line, remember polarity, dial works only when the polarity are right.
Should work as configured on picture, no money needed.

dsk

TonSpa

oh....AE120B? Is that the phone model number?...anyway....

I got the main board off. and the chassis came up and out. then I was able to get to the coin system. but I am unable to get to the coin part that goes into the money box. its the only part that left in the phone right now. OH I did take out the change return bin and found a strange part inside there. (took a pic). I did find 50 cents after I took out the bottom spring thing that holds the money box.

as for installing it.....it looks like who ever would install a pay phone would have to have all its insides out first? being now I can see all its mounting holes?

Ok I did fig out that the strange part is just part of the change return

Anthony

AE_Collector

The Trigger Switch is the remaining item on top. One screw removes it from the pot metal Hopper. Two big screws (1 each side) of the coil on the coin relay plus one small screw right at the top of the coin relay and then its off of te coin hopper. You wil then see a metal plate that locks the hopper onto the bottom plate of the upper housing.

The odd shaped metal piece is hardend steel to prevent or at least make it difficult to drill into the coin box from outside. There is one on each side.

Terry

xhausted110

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 15, 2014, 08:37:31 PM
man, so that's what a coin phone looks like inside... almost a full computer in there....this one must be pretty recent....

This is a standard "dumb" payphone with no smarts in it. You should see my elcotel series 5. Full of chips.
- Evan

rdelius

That metal piece is a shield to make it harder to get to the coins.I think it went between the coin return and vault