News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE LPC-72-55

Started by mentalstampede, September 27, 2014, 06:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

EvilBay has done it to me again. Here's my latest acquisition. It's had a dubious conversion, but it's not nearly as bad as some I've seen.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mentalstampede

Anyone have any experience with AE paystations that have Teletronics boards in them?  This one has one, but regardless of the board the upper housing wiring should be the same as original, right?

Also, the keypad has fairly severe UV damage. Are payphone keypads interchangeable with AE desk set/wall phone TT keypads?

And is there anyone that does re-chroming of small parts? The coin return bucket is a bit flaky. I'd like to have it done, but I wonder if it might be cheaper and easier to find one in good shape elsewhere and just swap it out.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

rdelius

You should be able to locate a nos or nice used pull bucket. They are not hard to find.Dont assume the data plate on the set matches the guts .That set has had some work done to it for resale.You can compare the data tag to a schematic to check though.AE touchpads might be harder to locate but type 80 tone sets might be on Ebay cheap to use for parts.Dont know a good source of paystation parts since Paul Vaverchak passed away

mentalstampede

I've gotten NE/WE paystation parts from Steve Hilsz before. I'll probably drop him a line about the pull-bucket. They don't seem to be listed on oldphoneworks.

That's a good idea on looking for DTMF Type 80 sets; hopefully the keypads are the same.

mentalstampede

Well, I scored a cheap touchtone Type 80. Turns out that the keypads are not at all the same. So I need to either find a correct pad or live with the flaky UV damaged one.

AE_Collector

Yes sorry, i just saw this topic now. There are several types of AE touch pads. The one on the pay-phone looks like the older type with he big ferrite coils on the back of it where as most AE 80E (plastic based type 80 with a faceplate) will have the newer IC based touch pads.

How about bleaching the buttons back to Ivory from sunburnt? They were never white but rather an Off white or Ivory colour.

"Dencins" here on the forum does chrome plating.

Terry

mentalstampede

You got that right; the one out of the AE80E does not have the separate oscillator board with the big coils.

I'm leaning towards letting the buttons be if I can't source a better pad. It's not so much that they're discolored as that they have tiny cracks and in a couple place pieces flaking off. But I certainly don't want to risk any further damage to them.

Thanks for the lead on the chroming... I may look into that for my coin bucket and vault door.

HarrySmith

"Dencins" does nickel plating, not chrome.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

mentalstampede

So, after a long time without fooling with this, I'm finally getting started working on this puppy again. Does anyone know of a source for decent original AE payphone handsets, handset cords, and the little clip that holds the end of the handset cord to the backplate? This one is trashed, the cord is way wrong, and the clip is missing. I'm thinking this one should probably get an armored cord, but I might go with a curly one if I can find a nice one that looks right.

AE_Collector

Most armoured cords with handset that you will find will be aftermarket units as they took over after AE stopped manufacturing parts. Compatible but not actual AE style handsets if that is important to you. Something tells me that I may have a new payphone handset with heavy coil cord but I think they have the blue grommet on them indicating hearing aid compatible which doesnt match the era of your 3 slot. I will have to check if they may actually be AE handsets or not.

BUT, see what else turns up, I am on the road, or rather "at sea" for three weeks starting today.

Terry

mentalstampede

It's finally done... Er, well mostly! Par for the course though, with the extra pieces collected through the course of this restoration I've now got approximately half a phone in spare parts.  :o

Anyone need a mostly-functional complete upper housing for one of these?