News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Introduction and My AE..

Started by Stan the Man, February 06, 2016, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan the Man

Hello Group,.. My name is Stan,.. and I,.. I have an addiction.. The wife says I'm bordering on being a hoarder.. I say my interests are wide and varying,.. which makes me a "Collector of Things".. Basically anything that caught my eye as a young boy, I have had an interest in getting my hands on as an adult.. I have my share of traffic lights, old fans, signs, and a radio collection that has taken on a life of its own..
I'm finally getting a man cave to put all my stuff in, and I have something that is eating at me something fierce..
I have a AE three slot payphone that I bought 20yrs ago.. It has served as a house phone for most of that time, but now its going in "The Cave".. I want it to work like it should, as a payphone.. It was gutted by the butchers that refurbished it.. I have some of the parts but not all, and I don't know enough about it to put it back right.. I also don't know what model, or type it is..
I'm hoping that someone here can help me with the questions I have, and with identifying the phone/parts I will need..
I'm used to beating my head against walls, so I won't be deterred..  I will post pictures and any info I have as soon as I can..

Thank you,... Stan

HarrySmith

Hi Stan. Welcome to the asylum. Everyone here shares your addiction, it's called "Phoneitis". Yes, pictures would be helpful, we can identify what you have and whether or not it would be restorable. It may end up being easier and cheaper to locate a complete one. You will also need a controller for it. That discussion will be better for later.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan the Man

This is my 3 slot..

rdelius

Yours is refurbished by Phoneco.Rewired with newer parts.Hopper is not old, Dial face most likely new.AE faces like the one shown are rare so most likely reproduction.I think the metalwork, handset coin chute  is all old though.Most refurbs now from Phoneco might have all new housings

Stan, be careful very careful. This has happened to me. There is no turning back.  :)

These are older pictures of my man cave, there is more in there now.

Stan the Man

Doug,.. OMG!! Its uncanny how we could have so much of the same stuff.. I guess kids are kids, no matter how old we are.. I don't have a phone booth, and my mustang, which I bought new, is a 98GT Spring Special(Bright Atlantic Blue), w/67,000 miles on it,.. Maybe I'll post some pictures when the "Cave" is done.. ;)

When I bought my 3 slot AE, I just wanted something that looking like the real thing.. Now I want mine to work like the real thing..
Yes I bought it from phoneco back around 1996.. Its one of those " if I knew then what I know now" situations.. I'm going to forget the original cost of the phone and go from here.. The wife would kill me if I spent $$ on another one, But I can get away with a few $$ here and there.. I want this one complete and functioning.. The wiring doesn't scare me.. My radio hobby has me fairly good with schematics.. So I believe if I can get you guys to enlighten me as to what configuration, and what parts I need, I will be OK..
I know there is a difference in prepay, postpay, and the like.. I'm guessing I can make this one whichever I like?? I would like to go with the most appropriate configuration.. I would also like to know how they originally worked.. Weren't some controlled from the operators end?? I guess I have lots of reading to do.. I'm not in a big hurry as I have an old Philco I'm trying to get off  the bench now..
Any and all help would be very much appreciated..

Thanks,.. Stan   

Quote from: Stan the Man on February 08, 2016, 09:52:52 AM
Doug,.. OMG!! Its uncanny how we could have so much of the same stuff.. I guess kids are kids, no matter how old we are.. I don't have a phone booth, and my mustang, which I bought new, is a 98GT Spring Special(Bright Atlantic Blue), w/67,000 miles on it,.. Maybe I'll post some pictures when the "Cave" is done.. ;)

Stan, When I first read my wife your introduction:

Quote from: Stan the Man on February 06, 2016, 02:16:57 PM
"Hello Group,.. My name is Stan,.. and I,.. I have an addiction.. The wife says I'm bordering on being a hoarder.. I say my interests are wide and varying,.. which makes me a "Collector of Things".. Basically anything that caught my eye as a young boy, I have had an interest in getting my hands on as an adult.. I have my share of traffic lights, old fans, signs, and a radio collection that has taken on a life of its own..
I'm finally getting a man cave to put all my stuff in, and I have something that is eating at me something fierce.."

Her exact words where "Oh My God you have a twin!"  :o

Our Mustang is a 2009 45th Anniversary Edition with lots of mods. With about 42,000 Miles or 67600 Kms.

Enjoy your stay here, I'm sure that there is someone in this forum that will be able to help you restore your payphone.

Doug

Stan S

Quote from: Stan the Man on February 08, 2016, 09:52:52 AM

When I bought my 3 slot AE, I just wanted something that looking like the real thing.. Now I want mine to work like the real thing..
Yes I bought it from phoneco back around 1996.. Its one of those " if I knew then what I know now" situations.. I'm going to forget the original cost of the phone and go from here.. The wife would kill me if I spent $$ on another one, But I can get away with a few $$ here and there.. I want this one complete and functioning.. The wiring doesn't scare me.. My radio hobby has me fairly good with schematics.. So I believe if I can get you guys to enlighten me as to what configuration, and what parts I need, I will be OK..
I know there is a difference in prepay, postpay, and the like.. I'm guessing I can make this one whichever I like?? I would like to go with the most appropriate configuration.. I would also like to know how they originally worked.. Weren't some controlled from the operators end?? I guess I have lots of reading to do.. I'm not in a big hurry as I have an old Philco I'm trying to get off  the bench now..
Any and all help would be very much appreciated..

Thanks,.. Stan   

Stan
There is a new fully assembled factory Automatic Electric prepay wiring harness on Ebay. The Ebay # is 252281225512
IT'S NOT MY AUCTION!
The harness is part number 60686 with the proper induction coil.
The only parts you will need to complete the bottom half of your payphone is a prepay coin hopper and prepay coin relay.
You will also have to rebuild the wiring in the top of your payphone. Nothing is connected except the dial.
The 'Buy It Now' price on that auction is very reasonable.
Good luck

poplar1

Quote from: Stan S on February 09, 2016, 12:06:02 AM

Stan
There is a new fully assembled factory Automatic Electric prepay wiring harness on Ebay. The Ebay # is 252281225512

Good luck

Photos for future reference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252281225512 (link)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Stan the Man

Well,.. I missed that one.. :(  How much easier could it have been..
Thanks for the heads up anyway,.. As much as I've been looking, I should have seen that one..
Is this the style chute I need?
Stan

rdelius

That chute is what you want if you are making the set a semi-postpay.86? type.No hoppers on these sets or anti-stuffing coin return.I think with that coil and wireing harness you could make it a LPB-86-55

Stan the Man

Sorry guys,.. the big problem,.. I don't know the difference between the models..
Post,pre, or semi,.. Is there something somewhere that will tell me the difference between them and how they operate?? Could someone point in that direction please?? What would be the advantage of one over the other?? Too many questions?? ???

Thanks, Stan

WEBellSystemChristian

Welcome, Stan! You have quite the collection, both phones and not! :)

I have a couple Pay Stations, and I honestly still don't completely understand the difference between the three. We have some very knowledgeable members here who can explain that well.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

rdelius

some information from memory.Might need correcting
Example LPB-82-55 Self compencating network with induction coil,Prepay (coins first),2nickles
example LPB -82-10     "    "                       "         "                "           Dime only
These were typical as found in larger towns with paystations on coin lines.
Would most likely have an anti stuffing coin return,Flat front coin vault with with AE Northlake
example lpc series Printed circuit board
              lpa series Non compensated inc coil circuit w screwdriver loop adjust-not common
              LPB  86? series -deposit coins when party answers -55 2 nickles, -10 dime only .Coins go directly into coin vault no hopper so no anti stuffing coin return (flipper)
LPB 89? local prepay not sure about operation but  built similar to LPB 86 series.
Your housing has an open coin return so it might be a earlier LPB 86 series vault and back
is for the LPB ind coil network.The coin chute is a -55 type
All you need is the wireing harness,brass coin chute or hopper if you dont want origional,Coils for
coins-might be hard to locate the proper semi postpay set