News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Phone Booth Telephone Sign

Started by ....., June 15, 2016, 01:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a chance to buy some phone booth items. This sign is with them. What would it be worth with the damage to the corner? I'm trying to add up all the pieces to see if the price is right for buying it all.

Fabius

Quote from: Autonut on June 15, 2016, 01:47:54 PM
I have a chance to buy some phone booth items. This sign is with them. What would it be worth with the damage to the corner? I'm trying to add up all the pieces to see if the price is right for buying it all.

I'd say that with the hole and edge chipping $25 to $50 USD. The edge can be painted with enamel paint such as Testor brand paint. It is available at hobby shops and craft stores such as Hobby Lobby (any in Canada?). Use a quality "fime" artist bursh.

I have used body filler (bondo) with excellent results on holes in signs.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

I don't think that is a hole. I think it is the reflection of the flash from the camera.

Fabius

Quote from: Autonut on June 15, 2016, 08:35:41 PM
I don't think that is a hole. I think it is the reflection of the flash from the camera.

It looks like I can see the wood through the hole that matches the wood the sign is sitting on?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

I know it looks that way. Try enlarging the picture.

Fabius

Quote from: Autonut on June 15, 2016, 08:42:29 PM
I know it looks that way. Try enlarging the picture.

Okay, I see what you are saying. So an even easier restoration.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

What is the value now. Without the hole.  :)

Jim Stettler

I would probably pay up to  $50-$75 . I am not a sign collector, but I like the sign, and that is about what I would consider paying for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------only a guidline--------
Value is a slippery slope. It is only a "true" value at the time of transaction.

Value  is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

Once the exchange is made, the value of the item changes, It will go up if the current owner is willing to sell it to a willing buyer  for more, The value will go down if the current owner will sell it to a willing buyer for less.

I could see paying $50.00 "earned" money for the sign, If the money was "phone money"* I could see spending $75.

JMO,
Jim S.

* Phone money- The profit from wheeling/dealing telephones, typically used to buy more telephones.

I have hundreds of telephones, I have spent thousands of dollars to acquire them. They are all paid for and they are paid for with "Phone Money" vs earned money. If you are using Phone money you can justify paying more.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Quote from: Jim S. on June 16, 2016, 06:35:14 PM
I would probably pay up to  $50-$75 . I am not a sign collector, but I like the sign, and that is about what I would consider paying for it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------only a guidline--------
Value is a slippery slope. It is only a "true" value at the time of transaction.

Value  is what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

Once the exchange is made, the value of the item changes, It will go up if the current owner is willing to sell it to a willing buyer  for more, The value will go down if the current owner will sell it to a willing buyer for less.

I could see paying $50.00 "earned" money for the sign, If the money was "phone money"* I could see spending $75.

JMO,
Jim S.

* Phone money- The profit from wheeling/dealing telephones, typically used to buy more telephones.

I have hundreds of telephones, I have spent thousands of dollars to acquire them. They are all paid for and they are paid for with "Phone Money" vs earned money. If you are using Phone money you can justify paying more.

I like the way you put it.

I'm just trying to figure out what I want to pay for the whole lot of items. So that is why I'm asking. I will be for my collection and not resale, well not just yet anyway.

Victor Laszlo

Jim Stettler

If you are buying a collection of a lot of phone stuff, I would assign a fair value to the stuff I like, and base my $ offer on those items,however  the offer is for the lot.. Offer low and you will probably get a fair counter-offer. If the price is still  high have them break it down and kick out the over valued items. Be fair and listen to the stories, it is part of the history.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Fabius

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on June 16, 2016, 08:09:13 PM
http://www.vankannelsignrestoration.com/

These folks have a good reputation for sign restoring.

They do excellent work but they ain't cheap.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on June 16, 2016, 10:55:40 PM
They do excellent work but they ain't cheap.

Something like this has got to be expensive . . .

Their gallery of before and after photos is extensive and impressive and none of the work cheap easy.

WEBellSystemChristian

The interesting thing with phone value is there are so few collectors that whatever the last couple people paid for a big-ticket item is now the estimated value. With vintage cars, there are strict price limits that car buyers follow, and it is actually calculated. It's far less emotion-driven pricing.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford