News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring my eBay purchase into a functional AE 3 slot Pay Phone

Started by DavePEI, June 01, 2016, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan S

If the coin trigger was in the down position, I have a feeling you disconnected the wrong white wire. I think you disconnected the one from the dial instead of the nickel counter.
Just a guess.
Stan S.

shortrackskater

I just checked and it was the nickel counter. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. The dial was a thicker gauge wire. Is it bad to leave the nickel counter wire attached?
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
It's not bad to leave the white wire connected. The function of the nickel counter is to short the dial pulsing contacts with EVER OTHER nickel that you deposit. That seems to be what's happening.

If you disconnect one of the wires from the microswitch of the nickel counted you won't have the problem you're experiencing. You will be able to deposit as many nickels as you want and the dial will always work.

shortrackskater

If I tie the relay back in, how far in do I tie it? And the correct way is to press on the coin trigger and then tie the relay? This is exactly what I did and couldn't dial out.
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
After you choose the direction of the coin flow, tie the armature of the coin relay as far back as it can go.
Stan S.

shortrackskater

I tried that but the "trap door" part kept holding the coin and would not release unless I undid the relay and allowed it to come out fully, and then back in. It seems to automatically revert back to putting the coins in the coin return.
This really isn't a huge deal to me though. I can live with them going to the return but I was just curious why it won't stay flipped to the box. 
Mark J.

Stan S

QuoteIt seems to automatically revert back to putting the coins in the coin return.

Mark
What you observed is correct.

To lock the coin relay in the collect position you have to push down ON THE LEFT SIDE shoulder of the magnetic card
This will move the armature back and also flip the coin vane to the collect position.

While pushing on the left hand shoulder of the plastic card, push and hold the armature back with your other hand. Don't allow it to move forward or it will revert back to the return position.  You can now stop pushing on the magnetic card while you keep the armature pushed back. 

Wrap the cable tie around the top of the relay while pushing the armature back.
The coin trap should now be down and out of the way. The coin vane should be directing the coins to the vault compartment.
Stan S.

shortrackskater

I tried this and it will allow one or two coins to the coin box, then the next coin stops at the trap door part, even if I keep the armature tied all the way back as far as it goes.
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
I now understand what's causing the problem.
I sent you a personal message.
Stan S.

shortrackskater

Stan discovered that my hopper/relay were not meshed properly. The flapper guide (sorry for my wording!) wasn't in its track. It was about a three minute fix. Now I've successfully tied the armature so the coins drop to the can.
And speaking of the can...
I noticed my newer single slot coin lid fit on the old can from my three slot. So I ordered a can/lid on ebay and used that lid for my old can. Problem was that the lock hit the lid ever so slightly. My "fix" was just gently pounding around the lid, attached to the can. It didn't take too much at all and now the can with lid easily slides inside and the lock works fine.

(anyone here? - seems like Stan is the only one. Glad he's here!  :-\)
Mark J.

RotarDad

Mark -Great to hear you've gotten your payphone sorted out.  Those coin cans are sometimes finicky.  I did the same thing you did - using a newer lid on an older can.  My lid mechanism would hang up sometimes.  I realized that the issue was a small dent in the metal that caused interference.  I was able to slide some sheetmetal under that area and carefully pound out the dent.  The cans are a neat design, but there must have been more than a few malfunctions back in the day......

On the silence of others on the forum, I believe we were simply deferring to the "chief surgeon of pay phones", Stan S.
Paul

shortrackskater

Thanks for the reply Paul, and sorry it took me so dang long. I just noticed this TODAY, and it's September 15! I must have missed the notification.
I finally mounted the phone in my room on a cabinet. There was a mark to the right of the phone from something I had stuck there so I quickly found a picture on the internet, printed it and taped it there.
Mark J.

HarrySmith

That's Cool!  Looks great and it works! Congrats!
I know almost nothing on payphones and I know a lot of others here are in the same boat. Once Stan chimed in there was nothing for me to offer!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"