News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Pay Phone in Phone Booth - A lot of help needed

Started by darticus, October 10, 2017, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Can't sleep now! No wire coming out of the booth. Whats the best way to run a wire? Remove the phone and look? Take back of booth off? Thanks Ron

poplar1

Quote from: darticus on October 10, 2017, 09:43:12 PM
Can't sleep now! No wire coming out of the booth. Whats the best way to run a wire? Remove the phone and look? Take back of booth off? Thanks Ron

Look at the top of the booth (outside). It is possible that both the 120 Volts AC (for the light and fan) as well as the phone line are terminated there.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Russ62

Hi,  I recognize the pcbs installed in the phone.  A large antique phone retailer called Phoneco sold these in the 1990s and early 2000s. they were intended for small businesses to use as commercial payphones on a standard pots line. The pcbs were set up as an improvised semi post-pay system.  They were set up so you would dial the number, then you would quickly deposit a quarter after the the called party answered to turn on the handset transmitter so the other party could hear you. There was no provision to vary the charge, but you could move jumpers to make the calls timed or not timed, and charge or not charge to call operator. while 911 calls were always free.                             Russell

darticus

Quote from: Russ62 on October 11, 2017, 01:42:15 AM
Hi,  I recognize the pcbs installed in the phone.  A large antique phone retailer called Phoneco sold these in the 1990s and early 2000s. they were intended for small businesses to use as commercial payphones on a standard pots line. The pcbs were set up as an improvised semi post-pay system.  They were set up so you would dial the number, then you would quickly deposit a quarter after the the called party answered to turn on the handset transmitter so the other party could hear you. There was no provision to vary the charge, but you could move jumpers to make the calls timed or not timed, and charge or not charge to call operator. while 911 calls were always free.                             Russell

Thanks very much for the info.
This sounds like it might work but I'll have to drop a quarter in after I make a call. Sounds like you can't get calls in with a ringer system though. Do you agree? So if this is used the owner of the location would keep the money every month. Do I have it right? Do you think this might still work? Interesting! Thanks Ron

Haf

One of the big problems with semi postpay as it was called at AE is that the called party doesn't know that your transmitter is muted until you deposit money. So if you don't insert the money qick enough the called party will hung up. You would too if after third "hello" there is no response when someone calls you.
If your phone is able to receive calls, I don't know. Maybe Russ62 or someone else knowing those Phoneco conversions better can.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

darticus

Quote from: Haf on October 11, 2017, 07:20:34 AM
One of the big problems with semi postpay as it was called at AE is that the called party doesn't know that your transmitter is muted until you deposit money. So if you don't insert the money qick enough the called party will hung up. You would too if after third "hello" there is no response when someone calls you.
If your phone is able to receive calls, I don't know. Maybe Russ62 or someone else knowing those Phoneco conversions better can.

Haf

Some one said it could be a Teltronics board. Any thoughts? Ron

Stan S

darticus.

This will probably help.
See attached.
Stan S.

darticus

Quote from: Stan S on October 11, 2017, 11:07:23 AM
darticus.

This will probably help.
See attached.
Stan S.

Thanks Stan the man! I will try to get a wire to the phone today and see whats happening. To all great help! Ron

darticus

I found the phone wire coming out the top of the booth. I think it connects to the phone. Maybe I should use a meter and test. There is a red, green and white coming out the line. I think the best way to test this is to connect the red and green wire of the booth to the end of a phone wire, that I'll cut a phone plug off,  and plug the other end of the wire ,with  plug, into the land line plug. Do you agree? I don't thing I need the white wire do you? Ron

HarrySmith

Yes, you only need the red & green wires for it to work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

darticus

New Update
Hooked up a wire to the red and green of the booth and than to the phone line. Nothing happened. Took the front of phone off again and noticed there was no connection to the dial. I thought something was missing. I found a wire tucked up into the front cover, pushed up by the dial. Pulled it out and noticed a dot on plug and a dot on a 5 pin unit. Hooked it up and works fine.
It seems to work like a regular booth pay phone as it always has a dial tone and it dials out the other phone rings, when they answer I just talk and don't have to put in any coins in.

Thanks to Sam here it probably is wired for free. Have to look at the diagram he sent on the PCB Board. Now working on fan and light. Need something to run in slot for door to run in. Anyone have a pic of how the door hook in the slit. It must be a pin in the slot. Later  Thanks Ron

HarrySmith

I do not know what is supposed to be in the door but it looks similar to what goes on a closet bi fold door. I fixed a closet door not long ago and found an assortment of pins & rollers at a local hardware store. You may find something similar that will work.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

i just saw the post about the correct part. I thought what you had might not be original. I still think my suggection about bi fold door pins should work with what you have.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

darticus

Thanks Harry
I fix it for now so it stops hitting me when I working on it. Kept hitting as free swinging. The piece I had took a couple screws and a self made pin. Looks stupid but work until I find one. Thanks Ron

darticus

Quote from: stub on October 10, 2017, 07:20:33 PM
darticus,
           Haf has the right idea. It 's called a type 33 ringer . Here's a pic of mine. You need to make sure it is not a frequency ringer.  SL will be stamped on the ringer like mine in the pic. You can find them on e place.  Hope this helps . stub                       
                                            left click on pic to enlarge

Thanks for this info!
I'm sure you know the answer to this. How would or where is the connection to the ringer unit to the phone? Would I have this connection on my modified phone that my pics show. Thanks Ron