"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of Old Telephone signs

Started by Sargeguy, September 23, 2014, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 03, 2018, 10:16:43 AM
There are two versions of the set, one is marked "AT&T" on the back and the other is "NET&T"

I'm watching for the NET&T ones but no luck.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on July 02, 2018, 08:51:56 PM
  A guy waiting for a woman to finish talking on the phone?

Yes. That railroad station where those booths were had been boarded up for years. Recently they get into the station for the first time in many years. They found the woman still talking on the phone and a man's skeleton on the ground outside the booth.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

I was looking on YouTube and found a group of sets of images from "Yesterday Today".  they appear to be postcard quality images that look to be old Kodachromes.  There were a number in the groups from the '40's and '50's that had a number of old phone signs in view.  I thought I'd pass it on  in the event anyone was interested in looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECFH3Pe21oQ
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Found this on FB. Looks to be a Telephone sign on far right on top edge of the door.

Where The Oregon Convention Center sits today. Dean Hanson's Soda shop, a locksmith and barber.

Fabius

Quote from: Duffy on October 23, 2018, 07:08:57 AM
Found this on FB. Looks to be a Telephone sign on far right on top edge of the door.

Where The Oregon Convention Center sits today. Dean Hanson's Soda shop, a locksmith and barber.

Yes, looks like a telephone sign. Love those Coca cola signs. There appears to be a fire alarm box to the left of the bench.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Duffy on October 23, 2018, 07:08:57 AM

Regular Member Post

Why is the man standing straight on to the camera holding a sign that says 125? Maybe an index number to that days photo log? If so, there are 124 other photos in which he appears, if not more.

Pourme

~

Good catch, John....

Can't believe I didn't notice that!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Sargeguy

Probably doing some sort of survey, like tax assessing.  Notice he appears to have a black bar in front of his eyes.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

No information on this picture.

Sign on right side along edge of window on building.

ReneRondeau

^^^^^
February 1940. "Auto transport passing through Eufaula, Oklahoma."

http://www.shorpy.com/node/14036?size=_original#caption

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: ReneRondeau on January 11, 2019, 04:12:37 PM
February 1940. "Auto transport passing through Eufaula, Oklahoma."

Thanks for the link and in its uncropped photo, we can see what's playing at the local theater . . .   in 1940, and see a better image of the sign.

Sargeguy

Interesting, that is an uncommon sign type. What make and model are the cars? I see "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" is playing, so 1939?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

Those look to be 1940 Buicks.  With the model year beginning around September of 1939.  It would be just a bit later.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Probably 1940.  The Hunchback Of Notre Dame was released on December 29. 1939.
— Arthur C. Clarke

ReneRondeau

The caption dates it to February 1940.   ;)