"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strowger Dial

Started by FABphones, November 30, 2020, 04:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I came across this Science Museum Group webpage:
https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co33202/strowger-calling-dial-1900-telephone-component

For those of us not lucky enough to own one, it shows a few nice close up images:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Thanks CJ

I'll put these pictures in my Strowger file.

phonium

Looks like one used earlier than most, as it has the steerhorn hookswitch without a ball at the end. The dial card is also early. Might be from a strowger "Bullseye" 2 box.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

I noticed only 10 digits.

phonium

Quote from: Duffy on November 30, 2020, 04:09:19 PM
I noticed the numbers are in reverse...
Doesn't look like it to me. The 1 is still closest to the fingerstop, am I missing something?
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Quote from: phonium on November 30, 2020, 04:15:00 PM
Doesn't look like it to me. The 1 is still closest to the fingerstop, am I missing something?

Nope, I must be dyslexic.  :D  I'll correct it.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: phonium on November 30, 2020, 11:33:24 AM
Looks like one used earlier than most, as it has the steerhorn hookswitch without a ball at the end. The dial card is also early. Might be from a strowger "Bullseye" 2 box.

Only the 1904 model had a steer horn hook with balls at the end. It was also for first model to have 11 finger holes.

The 4 or 5 models before it had pointy horns. The dial pictured looks like the 1901 model which is fairly early - it's the 4th model.

Quote from: Duffy on November 30, 2020, 04:09:19 PM
I noticed only 10 digits.

Only the 1904 and 1905 models had 11 finger holes. The models before that had 10 finger holes.

Jack