and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of Old Telephone signs

Started by Sargeguy, September 23, 2014, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: Whitcrane76 on December 21, 2020, 11:29:35 PM
Would love some backstory on this one.

Fuller Building, completed in 1902. Photo circa 1904. Tours were operated from the building (office space). 'Electric' vehicles were in use earlier than we may think.

That aside, I give in, where is the telephone sign in the picture?
:-\

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

The electric technology was ahead of gas engines in the early days, at least reliability wise. None other than F. Porsche designed an electric vehicle in his early career, but soon added a gas engine to help with the short range.
The inscription on the bus mentions a telephone connection, which is not specified?
"Flatiron" still is a nickname of the Fuller building, it even has a German Wikipedia article :-)
The picture might be added to Wikipedia, depending on copyright issues. Thanks for showing the picture here, it made me rethink the context of mobility and city life.

Whitcrane76

That aside, I give in, where is the telephone sign in the picture?
:-\

[/quote]

It's on the bus.

Whitcrane76

Quote from: countryman on December 22, 2020, 07:22:07 AM
The electric technology was ahead of gas engines in the early days, at least reliability wise. None other than F. Porsche designed an electric vehicle in his early career, but soon added a gas engine to help with the short range.
The inscription on the bus mentions a telephone connection, which is not specified?
"Flatiron" still is a nickname of the Fuller building, it even has a German Wikipedia article :-)
The picture might be added to Wikipedia, depending on copyright issues. Thanks for showing the picture here, it made me rethink the context of mobility and city life.

Glad somebody appreciates it, here lately all I get is comments that make me wonder if I really am a member of this forum.

19and41

I appreciate each and every picture added to this thread, though I don't always comment just for it's own sake.  I've looked myself for such related pictures and they continue to elude me.  That makes me appreciate the effort all the more.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

countryman

To bring it back to phones, the inscription on the bus reads "Seeing New York - Starts From Flat Iron Building - Telephone Connection.
What would the last info -telephone connection- mean without a number provided? I suppose there were already a lot of telephones in NY, and more than 1 operator of sightseeing tours.

FABphones

This building was a recent topic of conversation here, and a little study, hence why I have the expanded version (below) of the photo in question.

I answered the query nicely and have no interest in taking part in any bickering - it's meant to be fun and all that -  but after scouring the photo could see no sign.

I take the writing on the side of the bus to indicate the company was contactable via a [new fangled] 'telephone connection'. Why no number, I couldn't say. Maybe their marketing boys didn't quite think it through, early days after all...   ::)  :)

19and41

Quote from: countryman on December 22, 2020, 10:18:40 AM
To bring it back to phones, the inscription on the bus reads "Seeing New York - Starts From Flat Iron Building - Telephone Connection.
What would the last info -telephone connection- mean without a number provided? I suppose there were already a lot of telephones in NY, and more than 1 operator of sightseeing tours.

At that early date, the operator could direct the call based on the business name and location, as many calls were done through the services of the operator anyway.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

FABphones

FABphones

Oxborough, United Kingdom.

MADhouseTelephone

I added this sign to my collection recently, because I grew up in Orange County, CA. Can anyone tell me about  Orange County Telephone? I know it wasn't in California.
ADavid
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

david@london

Screenshot from Roger Corman's It Conquered the World (1956).
Caution: contains images of a sinister cucumber-like creature from Venus.

https://archive.org/details/HowItConqueredTheWorld

FABphones

Taunton, UK.
(You'll need to click to see this one).
:)