News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone Themed Desk Set for Hotel Lobby

Started by SUnset2, October 27, 2022, 01:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

Last summer I picked up this desk set for a hotel lobby, encouraging people to use the telephone.  I wonder if this would have been something provided by the telephone company.  It is made of ceramic.  The top has a green 500, and says "Welcome!  Why not telephone the folks back home to let them know you arrived safely".  The back side says "Ask if we can make reservations ahead".  The bottom has a sticker with "Handcrafted American Ware by Contemporary Ceramics Chatham N.J."

RDPipes

That's sweet! I'd like to find one of those myself. I did pick up sort of something like it a while back ago and am hoping that I'll find more of them in different colors.

HarrySmith

I have a collection of the mini phones in all the colors. It took some time, searching and a little help to get them all.
Posted here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3612.msg219991#msg219991
Lots of other topics on the hunt for them.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 27, 2022, 08:19:18 AMI have a collection of the mini phones in all the colors. It took some time, searching and a little help to get them all.
Posted here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3612.msg219991#msg219991
Lots of other topics on the hunt for them.
I've seen these around but, they're a bit different then mine. Their bases are flat, they're not pen holders and I don't remember them being marked underneath with a maker. Mine was made by Tel-o-Pen Mastercraft Inc. Monterey, Ca. Although I'd like to get those also, LOL!

HarrySmith

A couple of them were pen holders. I got them without pens and added the dial cards to cover the hole. One of them is a music box also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: SUnset2 on October 27, 2022, 01:08:34 AMLast summer I picked up this desk set for a hotel lobby, encouraging people to use the telephone.  I wonder if this would have been something provided by the telephone company.  It is made of ceramic.  The top has a green 500, and says "Welcome!  Why not telephone the folks back home to let them know you arrived safely".  The back side says "Ask if we can make reservations ahead".  The bottom has a sticker with "Handcrafted American Ware by Contemporary Ceramics Chatham N.J."

It seems to me that this would have been in the hotel room, not the lobby. Each outgoing local call was billed to the room. Long Distance calls were also billed, but usually required a call back to the hotel operator from the long distance operator to provide the time and charges. It doesn't seem logical that someone would call the "folks back home" from the hotel lobby.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 27, 2022, 11:58:18 AMA couple of them were pen holders. I got them without pens and added the dial cards to cover the hole. One of them is a music box also.
Ah! I do see some with flat bottoms now, I'll assume those are the ones.
I've also seen those music box ones, strange the music never seems to go with the phone really.
One I seen had "Mary had a Little Lamb" as the music, LOL!