News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FrankenPhones AKA the Kludge of the Month Award

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 05, 2010, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I would say, any phone that did not come from the factory in the condition found. that would include refurbished phones if they substituted parts where they were not original. That way you keep from getting a home refurb and a claim it was factory done.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dave, I wasn't aware that there was a conversion kit produced by the phone company for the AE80's and W.E. parts.  Thanks for that information.  What do you think, Terry?  Do you have information on that?

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 27, 2010, 11:10:08 AM
Here's a good example that I stumbled upon today.  This Red "Western Electric" model 500 has an Automatic Electric chassis and housing, a Western Electric dial bezel and dial along with a G5 W.E. handset.  The ringer box is thrown in for fun.

http://goo.gl/99CrR

Gee, $33 already too. I'll bet the bidder wants the red 33 ringer, not the phone! Too bad they put the two pieces together in this auction.

Terry

bingster

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.  It's a really nice ringer.
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

I would define it as any phone that has been assembled by someone other than the TELCO repairman.  For example a WECO 251 that features an AE handset and SC frequency ringer would not be a Frankenphone because that's the way they were put into service by the independent telephone company.  On the other hand when someone slips newer parts into an older phone, like a plastic 70s era #6 dial into a 202, that would be a Frankenphone in my book.  A phone with a bunch of replacement parts is not a Frankenphone if those parts all make sense and seem legit, although I sometimes call them that for lack of a better term.  I hope that clarifies it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Quote from: tjmack99 on November 27, 2010, 09:08:29 AM
Just curious if the term Frankenphone refers to any phone that is not 100% original dates, OR if it's reserved for phoes that have been modified in ways that are not original to the phone, like with a handset from a different model, etc. If an 1950's phone was missing parts and replaced with parts from the same period, or same year even, is it still a Frankenphone?
Phones through the years were repaired or upgraded by telephone repairman. Not factory, but legitimate just the same. A 202 came with an E1 handset. E1 handsets did not have the quality of an F1 and were damaged easily with a trip to the floor. Frankenphone? No way. Signal Corps "upgraded" WE 302s with an AE dial. Frankenphone, maybe? It was a legit upgrade, but it mixed companies and was intended by WE to be that way. I wouldn't want it in my collection. WE 302 with a SC handset, Frankenphone all the way. Many different interpretations from many collectors. i don't think there is a right or wrong...BUT! If a phone was repaired by a Bell Repairman using Bell System parts, IMHO its a legit phone. So if a 202 has a #6 dial, I do not think its a Frankenphone, I'd much rather it had a 4H dial, BUT.... its just my  opinion. ...Doug
Kidphone

Tom B

For my tuppence worth - as long as the phone functions with legit parts then it's ok. We are talking living evolving history really. Purists have their place, and so do pragmatists - the balance lies, as always,somewhere in the middle.
Tom

Doug Rose

Quote from: Tom B on November 28, 2010, 03:23:52 PM
For my tuppence worth - as long as the phone functions with legit parts then it's ok. We are talking living evolving history really. Purists have their place, and so do pragmatists - the balance lies, as always,somewhere in the middle.
Tom...you lost me at tuppence worth, I have no idea on a tuppence's value or what one is for that matter. My wife has Tupperware, but I digress, I think. Pragmatists? 
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Tuppence is slang for "two pence" or two one hundreths of one pound sterling, the British currency. Value about 3 cents US or Canadian.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: bingster on November 28, 2010, 08:42:32 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.  It's a really nice ringer.

Auction for the red AE80/WECodial and handset is over...$104.49! Would it be possible that the red push to talk handset is hard to find as well? I'm surprised what this auction ended at and am wondering if it was the phone, the handset or the red 33 ringer.

Terry

stub

Terry,
          I was after the 33 ringer for my red 183 and make a poor mans two-tone out of the AE 80. Kinda like Jorge's but not as nice as his!!
          Don't know anything about the handset.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Tom B

Quote from: Kidphone on November 28, 2010, 04:28:47 PM
Tom...you lost me at tuppence worth, I have no idea on a tuppence's value or what one is for that matter. My wife has Tupperware, but I digress, I think. Pragmatists? 
Doug
Didn't mean to baffle - just proves the old saying :- US and Uk -  2 great countries separated by a common language :D
Tom

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Kidphone on November 28, 2010, 10:07:00 AM
Quote from: tjmack99 on November 27, 2010, 09:08:29 AM
Just curious if the term Frankenphone refers to any phone that is not 100% original dates, OR if it's reserved for phoes that have been modified in ways that are not original to the phone, like with a handset from a different model, etc. If an 1950's phone was missing parts and replaced with parts from the same period, or same year even, is it still a Frankenphone?
Phones through the years were repaired or upgraded by telephone repairman. Not factory, but legitimate just the same. A 202 came with an E1 handset. E1 handsets did not have the quality of an F1 and were damaged easily with a trip to the floor. Frankenphone? No way. Signal Corps "upgraded" WE 302s with an AE dial. Frankenphone, maybe? It was a legit upgrade, but it mixed companies and was intended by WE to be that way. I wouldn't want it in my collection. WE 302 with a SC handset, Frankenphone all the way. Many different interpretations from many collectors. i don't think there is a right or wrong...BUT! If a phone was repaired by a Bell Repairman using Bell System parts, IMHO its a legit phone. So if a 202 has a #6 dial, I do not think its a Frankenphone, I'd much rather it had a 4H dial, BUT.... its just my  opinion. ...Doug

This is great description of (in my opinion) the difference between a Frankenphone and refurbished phone.

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Doug Rose

Quote from: Tom B on November 29, 2010, 04:12:06 AM
Quote from: Kidphone on November 28, 2010, 04:28:47 PM
Doug
Didn't mean to baffle - just proves the old saying :- US and Uk -  2 great countries separated by a common language :D
Word up....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

tjmack99

Thanks everyone for weighing in. I picked up a 57 WE 544, missing the dial mechanism, transmitter, and with a broken handset hook. I'm replacing these with parts that are probably within a year or 2 of that original date. It sounds like "refurbished" is the best way to describe it, should I want to sell it one day.

Tim