Old Phone Company Brochures and Magazines

Started by jsowers, July 07, 2009, 04:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

GG

Hi Kenny - I'm glad you love your kitchen; and two of the joys of living in a free society are that each of us gets to choose the colors we like for our kitchens, and then each of us gets to poke fun at each others' choice of colors for their kitchens:-)  When I buy a place and set up the kitchen, I'll post photos and be ready to face the proverbial music for it!

Kenny C

I love my moms kitchen I should say. I won't be decorating a home for a couple of more years I'm only 15 after all ;). It's a good thing me and mom have similar taste in things. But me and dad... don't get me started ;) ;D

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

teka-bb

Quote from: Adam on October 18, 2011, 05:47:54 PM
Wow!  I had no idea the original retail price of the Touch-a-matic S was $299!  That makes the three I own absolute steals!  I don't think I've paid over $30 for one... :)

I have one coming that is a gift so I guess I got a nice deal  :)

Any idea when the touch-a-matic phone S was introduced?
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

jsowers

Quote from: teka-bb on October 20, 2011, 07:41:40 AM
[Any idea when the touch-a-matic phone S was introduced?

Here's a link to a BSP for the Touch-a-Matic S that says July, 1982 and it's Issue 2, so I would guess 1980 or 81. I don't see much about Touch-a-Matics on Paul's site. They may not be considered a "Design Line" type phone.

http://wedophones.com/TheBellSystem/pdf/bsp/touchamatic_s/503-400-100-8207.pdf

And about appliance colors, mom literally had no choice in 1953. It was white or nothing. And lucky her, white is still a choice. I am not so lucky. Almond was big in 1985 and now that my 1984 Kenmore fridge is starting to die, I've been looking and it's white, black or stainless steel, none of which goes in my almond kitchen.

After debating it for a while, I decided to post a picture of my 1985 almond kitchen, clutter and all. Yes, I admit I'm a packrat and I grew up with clutter and it doesn't offend me. This is from Christmas, 2009 and there's the old almond fridge and my huge 1984 Kenmore microwave and you can barely make out the almond 1985 GE electric stove. Not visible under the counter is the almond 1985 Kitchen Aid dishwasher. I have two mixers, a food processor, a small Mr. Coffee, a GE Toaster Oven and a Corning Ware Electromatic percolator used to serve spiced tea at Christmas (company was coming). Counters, cabinet knobs, walls and floor are almond. Even the poinsettia is ivory.

So this won't be entirely off topic, notice my ivory soft plastic 554 on the only wall space I had to put the phone jack--the far right, under the cabinet door.
Jonathan

Dewdrop

Jonathan,

I have about 6 to 8 of the Corning Ware Electromatic percolators. Also have some that are stovetop. I bought several at an auction last year. Then found out that Corning had recalled the Corning Ware Electromatic percolators several years ago. There is a website with the information of the recall. Don't have time to look it up right night. Just on lunch break from work.

I have one that the top metal rim with handle separated from the glass part (NOT DURING USE). The glass part serves as a great kitchen utility container for our wooden utensils.

It looks like you have the matching trivet underneath yours.

Debbie
Debbie

jsowers

Debbie, I was aware they had a problem, but none of mine have a loose top, and they only get used once or twice a year, at Christmas. I wash them by hand--not in the dishwasher. So far so good. I have four or five with all the parts to them. The tea that perks in them has fresh orange and lemon juice in it, and pineapple juice, so this percolator works great since it has Corning Ware and stainless steel innards. Aluminum would react with the acid in the juice, I think. The whole cloves and the whole allspice go in the percolator basket. It makes the house smell great at Christmastime. I take it to work as a Christmas treat every year.

I only have two of the plastic trivets. Those are hard to come by. Here is the recipe for the tea, if anyone wants to know. I squeeze the citrus with my Sunbeam Mixmaster with the juicer attachment, so it goes very quickly.

Spiced Tea

Juice of 6 oranges
Juice of 4 lemons
2 family-size tea bags
2 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon whole cloves
1 Tablespoon whole allspice
1 64-oz. can pineapple juice
Quantity of water

Steep tea and spices in 1 1/2 cups boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and add sugar, stirring to dissolve. Strain tea and juices into 1 1/2 gallon container and add enough water to fill it up. Heat in non-reactive pot or percolator (stainless steel, enamelware or Corning Ware). Re-use spices in percolator basket if desired. Can also be served cold. Keeps for a very long time in the refrigerator.
Jonathan