News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1941 Seattle phone book.

Started by Greg G., October 21, 2011, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I took a new route home from work which went by an antique store that I sometimes frequent.  He happened to be open, so I stopped to take a look-see.  Found this 1941 phone book that lists my paternal grandparents address and phone #.  Old 6-digit phone numbers.  Also came with a pull-out section of long distance rates.  The page numbers on the rates correspond with the page numbers in the "blue pages".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Very cool, Greg.  It was fate that you took that other route home so that you could own that phone book.  Nice find.

bingster

It looks to be in great condition, Greg.  Out of curiosity, how many pages are in the book, and if you have a current phone directory, how do the number of pages compare?
= DARRIN =

Greg G.

Quote from: bingster on October 21, 2011, 12:55:37 PM
It looks to be in great condition, Greg.  Out of curiosity, how many pages are in the book, and if you have a current phone directory, how do the number of pages compare?

I'm not at home right now, but it appeared to be about the same thickness as current phone books in the 8.5X11 page size that are minus the ads.  I'm not sure if the "Yellow Pages" existed yet in 41, or if they were published separately like they are now.  There's also local city rates listed in the "blue pages".  I'll try to scan a few of the attached pages in PDF later if it doesn't stress the book too much, otherwise I'll take pics of them.

There was also a 1913 directory that had smaller pages and a lot thicker, with lots of ads, looked more like some of the current advertising "phone books".  The price tag was a little too rich for me and it didn't contain any family listing.  I know they were in the area at the time, but not in Seattle proper.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GG

There's something inspiring about the statue depicted on the cover of all those old phone books, "The Genius of Electricity," also seen here:

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8683&page=9

This was a time when science and engineering were recognized for all the good they do in helping us comprehend the natural world and create things that truly improve our lives, and when "big business" was often managed by people with vision and a strong sense of civic commitment.

Greg G.

312 pages for the listings, another 256 for the "Yellow" pages (only they're not so yellow anymore).
- Mike Row
e

Hudsran

I saw that you found a old phone book for Seattle.

I am looking for the address of my uncle who lived in Seattle in 1941.
His name was Erik Gillberg and he lived in the Capital Hill area of Seattle.

Maybe you can help?

Greg G.

Quote from: Hudsran on March 21, 2012, 07:20:55 PM
I saw that you found a old phone book for Seattle.

I am looking for the address of my uncle who lived in Seattle in 1941.
His name was Erik Gillberg and he lived in the Capital Hill area of Seattle.

Maybe you can help?

Yep, he's in there, page 85.  His address is now a 600k+ home:  http://tinyurl.com/7lp8pkx
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

P.S. Welcome to the group!  Are you a phone collector or were you doing genealogy research and it led you to this thread?  Either way, welcome!
- Mike Row
e

Hudsran

Thanks for the info!

I can't wait to see it.